Vynil coming up at door transition - what to do?

Old 02-19-12, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Vynil coming up at door transition - what to do?

At our back door floor to door transition, we used to have that white strip that you usually see at the bathtub corner transitions. At least it looked that way. But over time, it started looking bad and did not adhere well anymore so I took it off, thinking I'd just replace it with another one.

So I went to Lowes and bought Magic tub & wall seler trim.

Well, turns out that right here, the vynil sort of curved up, and therefore the trim does not want to stay put, as the upward push of the vynil is stronger than the adhesive. I then went and looked at any/all other transition pieces they have but found nothing that I thought would work?

This seems like such a simple problem but I am at a loss as to how to solve it? Should I first glue the vynil edge down so it stays put and then install the trim (if so - which glue?) - or something entirely different?

I took a few photos trying to illustrate the curved vynil edge:

Thanks for any ideas!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-12, 11:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes glue the vinyl down first. To make this easy go and get some liquid nail glue and glue down the vinyl then use the liquid nail for the trim.

Old 02-24-12, 08:21 AM
I hope I'm not too late here. In order to repair your problem, you'll need a heat gun and a tube of super glue. When heated, vinyl gets very soft and pliable. Overheating can damage it so use just enough to soften it up and no more. Get it soft enough to pull back a bit so you can clean any debris or dirt from under the edge of it. A vacuum and crevice tool work well for this. Scrape the stuff loose with a flat tip screwdriver or something, then vacuum it out. The vinyl will probably be cool by then and curled up even worse. Not to worry. Get it warm again so it's pliable, run a bead of supper glue along the floor where the vinyl needs to be adhered, and push the vinyl down into it. Keep rubbing and working it in until it sticks well. When it's all stuck down well, caulk the edge to seal out any moisture. At this point, You're free to deal with the trim as you see fit. One option would be to just clean up the surface and leave it be. I'm not so sure I'd use liquid nails though. Any future need to replace or somehow modify the trim would be rendered somewhat difficult. You could also get a piece of shoe molding and attach it to the threshold with brads, unless it's actually concrete and not wood. Sort of hard to tell from the picture.

Old 02-24-12, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
You can probably get it warm enough with a hair dryer.