I want to install Click Vinyl Tiles in kitchen pros and cons?

Old 04-24-12, 03:54 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I want to install Click Vinyl Tiles in kitchen pros and cons?

I want to install Click Vinyl Tiles in kitchen would like to know want pros and cons of this, right now I have old linoleum there which looks ugly. I planning to install click tiles like this one: Golden Select from Costco over existing vinyl floor.
Ideally I would like to have ceramic tiles or even better travertine tiles, but I hate the fact that installing tiles will rise my floor over hardwood substantially (especially in travertine case) , plus it just lots of work or reinstalling thick subfloor.....

Anyway I would like to know is it any good, any pros and cons, how long it may last anything I have to know before installation.

Thank you.

Old 04-24-12, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If your hardwood is full 3/4", you shouldn't have a trip factor when using 1/4" cbu and tile, whether travertine or ceramic/porcelain. I've just installed ceramic in a utility room which abuts a hardwood floor, as well as two bathrooms of travertine against hardwood in the hallway, and all three met with zero deflection. Often the marble strips are used for transitions, but in this instance it all met perfectly so no transition was needed.
I am not familiar with the tiles you want to install, but the weak point of any of the click lock items in a wet area, whether it is laminate or tiles is the seams. Water will seep past them and could prove ugly in the long term, depending on what the tiles are made of.

Old 04-28-12, 10:12 AM
O
Tank you for the reply, if I understand you correctly I have to use 1/4" plywood on top of my sub floor then tiles on top?
Can I just remove vinyl ( it can be pulled of relatively easy ) and install tiles right on that 1/4" that I have under vinyl?

And yes, my hardwood is 3/4".

What is "cbu" btw?

Old 04-28-12, 01:28 PM
CBU is concrete backer underlayment. The 1/4" underlayment you have now was for linoleum and won't be suited for tile. I would pull it, install 1/4" concrete backer underlayment (Durock or Hardiebacker, others) on a bed of thinset and screwed with 1 1/4" backer screws every 8" in the field and 6" on the rim. Laying your tile should bring the level back to the level of the hardwood.

Old 04-28-12, 09:05 PM
O
O nice to know! thank you for the info ! I really appreciated that you take your time and explain some noob what is what!!!!
In case I want to install travertine, because I really like it, do I have to put thicker backer board?

Old 04-29-12, 03:36 AM
I don't have a pix of the travertine transition, but it worked out the same way in the two bathrooms. No difference in the cbu.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: