Tile wall and vinyl flooring

Old 06-27-12, 08:12 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile wall and vinyl flooring

Our bathroom has tile on the wall reaching to the floor. There is a single sheet of vinyl flooring. I am wondering how to put in tile squares and make it fit the edges since I can't use baseboards because of the tile.

Old 06-27-12, 10:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Let's start with the basics - what's under the vinyl for flooring and what's the size, spacing and unsupported span of the joists underneath?

Old 06-27-12, 01:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It should also be clarified if you are considering ceramic/porcelain tile or intend to use a glue down vinyl tile.

Old 06-27-12, 01:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Along with the information Mitch is asking for, what type tile squares are you talking about....ceramic or porcelain, or vct or vinyl sticky stuff. Once the floor is prepared for the hard surface you can use a sanitary base type tile along the bottom of the wall and adhere it directly to the wall tiles. It will form a "base" molding for you. This is purely an example: Daltile Semi-Gloss Wall Ceramic Sanitary Cove Base 4 1/4" x 6" at Menards

Old 06-28-12, 10:42 AM
C
Hi, my original question was worded terribly. Here is a revision.

1. Our existing bathroom has a single sheet vinyl floor. I believe the substrate the same as the rest of our floor--that glued up wood mulch stuff whose name I don't know.

2. The walls of our bathroom have ceramic tile.

3. Currently, the vinyl has been cut very cleanly and abuts the ceramic tile.

4. We want to install vinyl, self-stick or glue-able tiles that may need to be grouted afterwards.

5. I have no confidence in my ability to cut the tile so cleanly that it doesn't look crappy, so I am wondering what my options are. Can I install a baseboard against the existing vertical ceramic tile? Should I just caulk the edge where the vinyl tile meets the wall? How do I make this look clean and pretty?

6. Is bathroom vinyl floor tile different from the stuff one installs in bedrooms or other rooms?

7. We have young children and when they bathe our bathroom gets pretty wet.

Thank you, wise forum residents.

Old 06-28-12, 01:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'm not fond of the self stick tiles - more times than not they don't hold up long term
I have installed the commercial grade vinyl tiles [sold at big box stores] that you spread the adhesive and then set the tiles in place. They seem to hold up well. One of the things I like about installing sq tiles is if you mess one up, they aren't that expensive and you can cut another one. Cutting them to fit isn't all that hard. There shouldn't be any gaps anywhere except maybe the perimeter which you would caulk. The adhesive probably seals any miniscule gaps between the tiles.

I'm a painter, not a floor guy but I have installed these types of tiles for my kids and friends - mostly kitchens and bath rms, and it's always come out decent and has held up well over time.

Old 06-29-12, 06:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Ah, thanks for the clarification - because you mentioned ceramic on the walls, I inferred you were talking ceramic on the floor now as well. Disregard my first post, it is no longer applicable.

Old 07-02-12, 07:41 PM
Buy a framing square and use it as a straight edge to cut against for a good looking cut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: