Mobile Home living room/ dining room OSB flooring

Old 08-16-12, 10:13 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mobile Home living room/ dining room OSB flooring

We re re-doing a very out-dated mobile home. The previous owners had pets, therefore.. the carpets HAVE to go!! Underneath the carpet is OSB flooring. We thought that there would be plywood underneath, so we were going to just paint it. While I know you can also do that with OSB flooring.. that's not the look were going for. We thought about doing the stick on vinyl becuse it looks good, and it's cheap. We are on a VERY tight budget!! Can someone tell me if you can directly stick the vinyl onto the OSB? Or do we need to lay something under it? Or does anyone have any other CHEAP ideas of what we could do??

Old 08-16-12, 10:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums

What kind of shape is the OSB in - is it swollen from moisture anywhere?

Old 08-16-12, 10:26 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you (: I'm not sure if is swollen... we only have about half of it pulled up. From what has been pulled up so far.. there isn't any swelling!

Old 08-16-12, 02:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Depending on the age of the home, your OSB may really be particle board and it is worthless for anything except carpet. As mitch17 said, is it swolen? Can you post a couple of pix of the flooring so we can see what you see? I'd like to make sure it isn't particle board. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-16-12, 04:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The majority of MHs use 5/8" particle board for the subfloor. The factory lays the carpet and glues the vinyl before the walls/ceiling goes up. If there have been any leaks [either plumbing or rain] the PB will swell and would need to be replaced. If it is indeed OSB, you need to check closer. It's possible somebody cut out the bad PB, patched it and then covered the entire floor with OSB. It's also possible they just went over bad and all with the OSB

If the current sub floor stays - you need to use a solvent based primer to seal in the pet odors. Latex primers will not work! If the odor is extremely bad I'd recommend using a pigmented shellac primer like Zinnser's BIN [it's extra stinky ]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: