Vinyl tile glue removal from concrete slab then tile over

Old 01-15-13, 08:51 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl tile glue removal from concrete slab then tile over

Hi everyone,

I've seen similar questions to the one I'm about to ask, but after a bit of searching the forums I couldn't find an exact answer. So here goes. Like others have stated, I removed vinyl 12x12 peel and sticks from my bathroom which is concrete slab underneath. I have bought the 4" razor scraper and used elbow grease like someone else suggested, but even the spots where the glue has come up, there is still a fine layer of sticky glue there. I mean, the floor is so sticky it almost pulled my boots off. I am planning on laying 12x12 tile so I'm assuming I can't just tile over this stuff since I'll need a bond with the concrete.

I notice that the tiles by the toilet were very easy to pull up and the concrete isn't sticky there (I'm assuming from leaky toilets), so I now am considering trying the method of pouring hot water over the concrete and use a wire brush with a long handle to try to remove the rest of the glue. I read that idea somewhere on these forums. What application method should I follow when attempting this? Once the concrete dries, will I have any problems when laying the new tile if I use this method?

The home was built in 1988 so I don't believe there are any asbestos issues.

Thanks!

Old 01-16-13, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
As long as the concrete is allowed to dry completely afterward, I see no problem with using the hot water.

Old 01-16-13, 05:51 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Not sure hot water will do the trick, you may need an adhesive remover. Here is one I have used, 128 oz. Adhesive Remover-GKAS94325 at The Home Depot, Works really fast. *****It is also very caustic, do not get any on your skin as it will cause a chemical burn****** Protect yourself accordingly.

Brush it on with a throw away brush or solvent resistant roller. work in small batches. Let set for recommended time and then wipe clean with paper towels. Should take you down to bare concrete.

Old 01-16-13, 07:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Hot water would be my choice, adhesive removers can potentially cause trouble with tiles sticking afterward as well.

Old 01-16-13, 08:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I think I'll give the hot water a shot...can't hurt I suppose. I also read about bonding problems when using adhesive removers due to the chemicals left in the concrete after it dries, so I don't think I'm going to take the chance. If hot water doesn't remove it completely I'll lay a skim coat of mortar on the floor, let it dry, then tile onto that and hope that does the trick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: