Peel 'n Stick vs Adhesive

Old 04-11-13, 12:29 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peel 'n Stick vs Adhesive

I currently have vinyl tile in my basement from the 1970's. I want to pull it up and put down new vinyl tiles. Which tile is better, Peel 'n Stick or Adhesive that is put down with a notched trowel? Also, once I pull up the old tile, how should I clean the floor, as it has some glue residue from the old tile? I believe the old stuff was put down with a trowel.

Old 04-11-13, 04:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Not my area of expertise but I've never seen peel and stick tile stay stuck long term. I'd definitely use the separate adhesive. Those tiles are normally thicker than the P&S which equals longer wear

Old 04-11-13, 05:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
VCT is far better than peel and stick. Peel and stick can shrink over time and will also come loose if it gets wet.

Old 04-11-13, 06:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
A third no to peel and stick.

FWIW, we found we could put down ceramic for about the same cost as vinyl so we've been replacing damaged vinyl in our units with ceramic for several years now.

Old 04-15-13, 04:53 PM
J
I saw a Peel 'n Stick tile at Lowes that was as thick as the VCT tile. If I were to put it down with the glue that is used on VCT tile, then would that give me the durability of VCT tile?

Old 04-15-13, 06:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, it would not................

Old 04-15-13, 06:21 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Your obviously caught up on the price, but as the age old saying goes - "you get what you pay for". You can do your $9 a box peel and stick if you wish, they make them for a reason, people still buy them. We do this sort of thing for a living, and as a business person, I would not be as popular as I am, and have a waiting list of clients, if I recommended this sort of product to my clients. BTW - one of the products is called "peel and stick", the other is called "Luxury Vinyl Tile" - there is a difference in name as well as a huge difference in the composition of the product. I have installed Luxury Vinyl Tile that has a wear warranty of 25 years and is rated for commercial applications. What is the warranty on the product you are looking at.

So I guess I become the 4th to say no to peel and stick.

Old 04-16-13, 06:03 AM
J
The tile I looked at had a Lifetime warranty, of course, lets be serious, they don't have a warranty to honor it. They will find a way to not have to honor the warranty. The tile I looked at was just as thick as the VCT (what you would see in a high school). My issue is not w/ price, the only VCT tile I see looks like it is in a High School. Do they make a decent looking VCT tile that I am not seeing? I've gone to the Big Box stores(Home Depot & Lowes). Should I go to a flooring store?

Old 04-16-13, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The tile you are looking at is not as durable as VCT.

Old 04-17-13, 02:29 AM
J
So, Czizzi, what you're saying is that the "Luxury Vinyl Tile" is similar in durability to VCT? Like this one from Lowes:
Item #: 356515 | Model #: SS2474

It says it's peel 'n Stick, but is it as durable as VCT?

Old 04-17-13, 03:53 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
This product only has a minimal warranty and it specifically states that it does not cover wear related to shine or sheen. To me this would be the first thing to go if you should have a problem. You also need very specific subfloor prep and a special primer if applying over plywood subfloor. It also states in its installation instructions that it is specifically designed for Do It Yourself Installations. That would be that it is easier to install then spreading glue. But easier does not mean better.

Both of the big box stores are interested in getting your money. Therefore they have a lot of products geared toward being easier to do than the traditional installation methods. I have issues with many items they offer, not just this one. My guess is that if you went to a flooring only store and asked about this product, they would not carry it and probably would have a hard time warranting the installation if they installed it. There are superior products, that's all. VCT is a commercial product and much too industrial looking for residential applications.

Again, I would never install anything labeled "peel and stick". If you are looking for a simple to install durable vinyl floor that can be installed over just about any subfloor, search for Kinecto, by Metroflor. Quite a bit more expensive than what you are looking at, but offers a lifetime residential warranty. Comes in tile looks and wood looks. And, yes, I have installed this product for several clients.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: