Self Leveling Underlayment

Old 04-20-13, 01:56 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Self Leveling Underlayment

I have had a drain leak and the ceramic tile covered concrete floor was jack-hammered. They filled the hole to within 1/4", but now I have to level it so I can lay new 1 piece vinyl tile over entire floor. The question is: does TEC Ultimate Self Leveling Underlayment level itself or do I have to level it with a trowel? Troweling is sure not my area of expertise :-). Seems, to me, self leveling means it will flow and fill in the hole, but not sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-13, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Did they hammer up ALL the ceramic? Why not just in the affected area so you could replace it with new tile? You don't want to cover over the drain, but if it is just a hole, then the SLC you state will self level depending on how you mix it. Use the directions on the bag pretty closely and be sure to use a rotary mixer on a big drill. Check the consistency to make sure it is what you want. I don't make mine too sloppy as I like to help it along just a little with a flat mason's float. It will eventually all go to level if you mix it according to directions. Just how big a hole are you talking about anyway??

Old 04-20-13, 03:40 PM
R
It's complicated. I had vinyl tile over the ceramic and it was glued tightly. Ceramic was diagonal on floor and this results in ragged hole, zig-zag type. Hole is about 3ftx3ftx1/4in. I think you answered my question. Guess I'll just have to accept an imperfect job.

Old 04-20-13, 08:27 PM
F
I used this particular brand Friday and I'm pretty disappointed with its self-leveling abilities. I was careful to follow the instructions carefully, and I poured it out in 5 increments so that I could help it level itself out as I worked my way out of the room. I'm going to be sanding and redoing a good portion of the work.

With a small enough area like you're talking about, it might be OK. My bathroom is 7 x 5.5 with a joist that is high along the 7 foot dimension.