How can I remove Peel and Stick Tiles without damage?

Old 06-09-13, 10:30 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I remove Peel and Stick Tiles without damage?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have the same peel and stick tiles in my two bathrooms(installed by previous owner). Both bathrooms have one tile which were cut to fit near the wall have shifted, which now are showing the floor underneath. I do not have any extra tiles remaining. With that being said is there a way I can remove these tiles or lift them up "without damaging" them so I can reposition and then re-stick them with some sort of adhesive?

If I can't remove them without damage, can I do something else to hide the flooring underneath with grout that matches the tiles or something?

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

Afrowookie

Old 06-09-13, 11:09 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Use a heat gun.
Peel and stick never ever should have been used in the bathroom, or for any room for that matter.

Old 06-09-13, 11:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome back after a long absence!! Generally peel and stick tile are removed by looking at them Just kidding. They don't have a great track record for adherence. I doubt you will be able to remove them without breaking them, and even if you could, they would not reposition and stick again. It may be time to consider another flooring.

In all honesty, small bathrooms can be tiled with ceramic or porcelain for about the same cost as peel and stick, or other tiles. If you decide to bite the bullet and go with ceramic, let us know. We can walk you through it.

Old 06-09-13, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Use hair dryer to heat it. It may come right up,

Old 06-09-13, 07:18 PM
A
Thanks all for replies. I'll try using a heat gun. Hopefully that will work, since I'm don't have the budget for putting in new tiles at the moment.

Old 06-09-13, 08:05 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
For what it's worth, we were looking at peel and stick to replace damaged sheet vinyl in our units several years ago and figured out we could go ceramic for less money (we bought a pallet and a half of tile for 50/ft).

Old 06-23-13, 10:01 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I can't imagine how lifting that tile and reinstalling it would solve your problem. You can't make it larger to cover the gap you want covered. Maybe it's the "shifting part" that's not clear here. How could it shift? Wouldn't that require that it force other tile to shift also?

Old 06-23-13, 10:36 AM
A
I was just asking about lifting it and and then repositioning with some stronger glue or something. I am not an expert that's why I am here. I called it "shifting" because that's the best way I can describe it. It did not cause other tiles to shift, because each tile that is shifted in both bathrooms are the smaller tiles that were cut down to fit against the wall or under trim. Those are the shifted ones.

Basically all I wanted to know is if the tile moved, can I move it back with out damaging the tile. I do not have an extra ones.

P.S. I know Peel and sticks are a crappy choice. I didn't choose them nor install them. They were there when I bought the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: