Underlayment for vinyl tile in bathroom?

Old 10-21-13, 05:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underlayment for vinyl tile in bathroom?

Now that I've finished installing laminate flooring in my dining room I figured I'd tackle another small room.

What, if anything, needs to be used for underlayment for peel and stick vinyl tiles on a bathroom floor? I've got a few boxes of the stuff that I plan on putting down on the floor of my extra bathroom

Currently it has some kind of linoleum on it. I know peel and stick can be put down over existing floors but my linoleum is curling up in a few areas so I'll have to remove it. What do I need to use? The box doesn't really specify.

I've read something about using 1/4" plywood but that seems like a huge PITA for the small area I'm doing.

Old 10-21-13, 07:07 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would not suggest anyone ever use peel and stick tile any place.
It shrinks, the color does not go all the way through so it can wear through, unless it's laid on a flawless plywood floor it's not going to stay stuck.

Old 10-22-13, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
And Joe is 100% right...................

Old 11-15-13, 02:07 PM
B
So what kind of underlayment needs to be used here? The instructions on the box don't call for 1/4" plywood but instead says "Use latex primer over porous subfloors".

I'm not looking for anything permanent so it doesn't bother me a bit if they don't last more than a year or two, if that. I had to replace a piece of subfloor that had some rot on it and in doing so I damaged(tore) the linoleum that's currently in there. All I want is something that will look decent for a short time while family members and friends are over for the holidays until I can put actual tiles down.

Old 11-15-13, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If your floors are perfectly flat, you can prime and apply the peel and stick. The floors are almost never flat, so it is recommended that a flat surface be provided. This can be accomplished by putting down 1/4" underlayment plywood (not luan), using 1"+ narrow crown staples.

Old 11-20-13, 04:04 PM
B
My subfloor is OSB. Does that change anything?

I'm going to go ahead and install a 1/4" underlayment of plywood since the old vinyl sheet flooring left behind cardboard-like pieces on the subfloor. Will this plywood work as an underlayment in a bathroom? If I put down a plywood underlayment does it need to be primed first or can I just lay the tile down on it unprimed?

Old 11-20-13, 04:51 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Are you using peel and stick? That is what seems to have drawn you to the post. You may receive negative votes as there are far superior flooring's out there. Rated Underlayments are fine under certain types of flooring and vinyl tile. Just don't use Luan as it is not underlayment rated.

Old 11-20-13, 04:59 PM
B
Yes, it's peel and stick.

I'm only using it as a temporary solution. I had to replace a piece of sublfoor under my toilet and in doing so I had to rip up some of the old vinyl sheet flooring so I went ahead and took all of it up. I already had 2 boxes of vinyl tile that I bought a few years ago so I figured I'd put it down as a temporary solution until I'm able to install actual tile sometime next year.

Old 11-26-13, 01:59 PM
U
Will underlayment help?

I purchased an older home that had wood floor in the kitchen. Over the past 60-70 years the wood has become gouged and has some deep slices in it. I want to install vinyl plank flooring (I am a single mom on a very tight budget.) but the floor is not perfectly level. Will the underlayment which is used for tongue and groove flooring also work under self-stick vinyl plank flooring if the underlayment is stapled to the wood floor? If not, what is an inexpensive way to level the floor and how level does it have to be? Will every little imperfection eventually show through the vinyl? Thanks in advance!

Old 11-26-13, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
You can staple underlayment grade plywood directly to the wood floor and install vinyl plank on it.

Old 11-26-13, 06:07 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Will every little imperfection eventually show through the vinyl?
The answer is- YES - every imperfection will eventually show through. I recently had to do a call back to fix an single LVT as a small shaving from my trimming got under one of the tiles. Looked like a nailhead popping but was only a small scrap of a cut I made during the install.

Old 11-29-13, 09:39 AM
U
But other than the plywood, can the rubber underlayment used for tng be used?

Old 11-29-13, 01:56 PM
Bigbob: After you put the 1/4" plywood down, I suggest you test by putting down one piece of tile and seeing how well it adheres. Then, if you're not satisfied, prime a section of it and retest with another piece. I'm assuming you have enough extra tile for this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: