Needed Prep for Wood floor prior to install of vinyl tile?

Old 12-06-13, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Needed Prep for Wood floor prior to install of vinyl tile?

Hello,
I am new to the site. I removed my old vinyl from my kitchen down to the plywood floor. I have cleaned the surface and it is in good condition. I plan to install Traffic Master vinyl tiles. Do I need to prime the floor with something? I have put down the Traffic Master tile on top of vinyl before without any other prep and they did fine, but I am not sure about installing over wood.
Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jenna

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 06:44 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
It is best to lay a 1/4" plywood underlayment (not luan) under any vinyl installation and skim the joints smooth. Any imperfections in the base structure under the vinyl will show through to the top side in due course. Now is the time to properly prep your floor for the new vinyl.

Old 12-07-13, 08:26 AM
I believe the wood is plywood. This floor was covered with vinyl that I removed. It looks like the joints were previously skimmed. The only imperfections I see are some staples and I am not sure they would show thru the thick traffic master tiles. Does this wood need a primer to make the adhesive stick better?
Thanks for your input!

Old 12-07-13, 12:58 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
If the plywood is an approved underlayment for vinyl then all you need to do is make sure it is perfectly smooth to install your new tile. Primer is not needed if you are using the correct recommended adhesive listed on the traffic master installation instructions. And, please understand that small imperfections will show through regardless of how thick you think you tiles are. I recently installed a LVT floor and had to remove/replace one tile because a small miniscule piece of a shaving got under one tile. It looked like a nail head from the top but was no bigger than a small fingernail clipping.

Old 12-10-13, 03:32 PM
Thanks for your input! We put the flooring down and it went well.
Hopefully, it will last a long time.