Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on Luxury vinyl vs. the regular stuff vs peel and stick?

Old 12-12-13, 12:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are researching using vinyl tiles in a bathroom.
Posts here indicate that the peel and stick is garbage.
So what about the so-called LVT - luxury vinyl tile?
Is it considered a long lasting product?
Better than standard vinyl?
Is it worth the extra $$$?

Old 12-12-13, 01:26 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why would you not use a quality sheet vinyl?
No seams to leak or open up.

Old 12-28-13, 04:48 PM
B
Tile Choice

We put LVT in our kitchen (Arm strong pro duct) seven years ago. It's held up extremely well and kept good appearance despite heavy use. A few small chips from dropped items, but have to look for them.
I put a good quality tile in our guest bathroom (used daily with kids in the house) four years ago and it also has held up well. I do not have any recent experience with peel and stick.
I just put LVT in our back entry and I'm getting ready to put LVT in our master bathroom - have the product bought. So that probably speaks of my opinion on product choice. Considered was our experience in the kitchen, as well as the styles, colors and patterns available in the LVT.
And, I'm doing the tile because 1) we (note 'we') think the tile looks better and 2)our bathroom has multiple offsets and walls and I don't have the comfort level to cut and seam the sheet product.

Good Luck with your project

Old 12-28-13, 05:12 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
LVT is a different product than peel and stick, although on the same general idea. LVT is thicker and has a far more durable wear layer and is is installed in a way that insures a good long lasting install. Pick a quality product, don't skimp on the subfloor prep as it will need a super flat surface. Plan on installing underlayment grade ply wood (1/4") and skim the nail holes and seams. Use the manufacturers recommended glue and appropriate spread rate. You should have years of usage without incident. If you are worried about seams, they make clear seam sealer that you can portion into the cracks to help fortify the seams. Short of a total flood, I think LVT is more durable in the long run than sheet vinlyl.

Old 12-28-13, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I've seen it installed but not used it myself. LVT can look almost like tile, but is softer and warmer underfoot. That's my big complaint with tile in areas like kitchens, baths, and laundry rooms. Drop a pan or bottle and deal with a chip for years. Installation is everything though.

Family Handyman (I think) just had an article on it.

Old 12-29-13, 09:46 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Had LVT installed in a kitchen reno about 18 months ago. So far, it's great.

As Czizzi said, installation was somewhat similar to that of regular tile: good underlayment installed; using a glue instead of thinset; grouted using a "grout" made for the product.

As Vic said, it looks like tile, but is softer on the feet, legs, and back.(My wife originally wanted "regular tile", until she had to stand on it to clean up after a big holiday dinner at my brother's house. It messed with her back. So far, no similar problems with the LVT.)
Good luck with your project.

Old 12-29-13, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Just imagine sheet vinyl cut into strips with dozens of seams. That is what you get with LVT.

Old 01-23-14, 08:48 AM
P
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure you're referring to the same product as everyone else. LVT to me is the limestone backed tiles about 1/8" thick, typically installed with a gap for grouting, installed very similar to ceramic, except with mfgr recommended adhesive (spread with a notched trowel like ceramic) rather than with thin-set. I'm thinking of products like Armstrong Alterna, Mannington Adura, and Congoleum DuraCeramic. Sounds like you're referring to the vinyl planks sold at the big-box stores. I would stay away from that crap too. It is also called LVT sometimes, which adds to the confusion.

Note that a typical installation may actually cost more than ceramic. The mfgr recommended grout is very expensive, but I recommend you use it, as it is very flexible (I've seen it bent into small radii when dried) and won't pop out or crack when your subfloor flexes.

I installed some of this (Armstrong Alterna) in a laundry room where due to floor deflection and time and tool constraints (I was doing this in our new house before we moved in, 400 miles from our previous residence), I could not install ceramic. I am very pleased with the results. It's been in place about a year now.

Name:  IMG_0165s.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  48.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0166s.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  43.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0167s.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  42.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0168s.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  45.0 KB