Can't get old carpet glue off concrete subfloor

Old 03-14-14, 09:34 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't get old carpet glue off concrete subfloor

Hi.. I hope you can help us. We removed some old indoor/outdoor type carpet out of our game room. The previous owners had glued it straight to the concrete.. Ugh! The glue residue is stubborn (understatement... It's a Pita!) and we are having trouble removing it. We have tried hot water and scraping.. Various sanding heads... And more scraping... Out of 350 sq ft, we have cleared about TWO! After several hours... Not great stats!.. Lol
We would like to install vinyl tiles and grout but know we can't do this with the floor as it is. Any suggestions on (a) removing the adhesive or (b) making the floor ready for the vinyl tile in some other way.
One other question: the level of the glue is very shallow. It was applied with a trowel with small grooves, I guess. There are not sections that are raised. Could we POSSIBLY install the vinyl tile over it, using an adhesive instead of just the self-sticking that comes on it? I know I'm grasping... Lol
Ok... Any advice you have will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-14, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the forum pro here and I wouldn't normally reply to a flooring thread but I just went thru what you are doing now. It was no fun chore. I didn't get the floor perfectly clean down to the cement but I did get it smooth. The vinyl tile shows almost every imperfection in the floor.
If you use the tile squares you will have to use mastic to hold them to the cement.

I used a right angle grinder with a metal brush on it. Made an incredible mess. I had put plastic up and a fan in the window to remove the dust.

It seems the Depot has cement prep tools, in their tool rental area, that may work for you.
Floor Prep Rental Equipment - Home Depot

Old 03-14-14, 10:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
There are power floor scrapers made for your specific problem. Call your local tool rental store to see if they have one available. The wire brush on a grinder can also work but it's a lot of time down on your knees.

Old 03-14-14, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
If you get it as smooth as you can and no loose stuff, you can glue over it.

Old 03-14-14, 06:11 PM
D
Thanks guys... Unfortunately our local HD doesn't rent these types of tools..
And we called some other rental places and they didn't have the type of floor scraper we needed.. Only a tile scraper but they said the blade would be too thick.. Grrrrrrrrrr.
Now I have a question for Sam.. Are you saying you think the vinyl tiling would work even if there were some groves left from the glue? As long as it was smoother and free from loose junk? Do you think we would need to use and filler (if so, what? ) for the areas that are smoother and free of the grooves (there aren't many of these areas.. Lol.. The ridges are about 1/8 inch apart..)
Once again... Thanks for any advice!

Old 03-15-14, 06:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
It partially depends on the vinyl you are using. Some is rather thin and will follow the shape of whatever is below while some is thicker and stiffer and can better bridge small divots like between trowel grooves. Then there is the texture of your vinyl that can help hide andy patterns that telegraph through the tile.

I would not bother with a filler but I would try to knock down the high spots as much as possible. You might be able to find a heavy duty scraper or floor scraper. Basically a flat hoe with a handle long enough so you can work standing up. If you can't find one of them a flat piece of scrap steel or a painters tool will work.

Then after you've scraped use a shop vac to thoroughly vacuum the floor. You don't want any little blobs of loose adhesive left as they will raise a bump in your fnished floor that's surprisingly visible. Then when applying your glue I would hold the notched trowel more vertical in the low parts of your floor. This will make the ridges of glue a bit taller to help even out the difference.

Then finally when you have all your tile placed go over the floor several times with a roller. Most rental stores will carry this. And be ready, they usually weigh 100 pounds. But it will thoroughly press your vinyl into the glue. High spots will be squished down while the rollers width will bridge over minor dips and can help make your floor a bit more level.

Make sure you wear shoes with toes. Pulling a floor roller onto your toes can be surprisingly painful.

Old 04-14-14, 05:52 PM
K
Glue followup Carpet glue off concrete

I am right in middle of a project. it was glue down I/O, been there about 10 yrs, it pulled right up,, the remaining glue, i have scraped with a floor tool, and then decided to use a hand sander with 40 grit.. it doesn't remove the glue, but does smooth it off real nice,,, i am going back with a nice carpet and pad.

The question is,, should the sanded surface be smooth enough for carpet and pad.

Old 04-14-14, 11:43 PM
S
Home Depot and Lowes both carry polyurethane strippers in the paint stripper section. I was recently reading reviews on HD's website, and there were many reports of successful results.

Old 04-15-14, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Don't use chemicals to remove the adhesive. The adhesive for the vinyl tiles may not stick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: