vinyl tile

Old 03-21-14, 05:39 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
vinyl tile

I am considering putting in peel and stick vinyl tile in our laundry room and have heard of the possibility of grouting such tile. Does anyone have comments on this as a possibility and if so please make recommendations or point me to a source, please?

I have no experience with such grouting but have used peel and stick in a previous home. I understand that any peel and stick tile should be secured with additional adhesive. Do you agree? What do you think about peel and stick vs other vinyl?

Thank you for your help and consideration.

Old 03-21-14, 05:59 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'd never suggest anyone use peel and stick in any room for any reason.
Stick with a quality sheet good instead.
No seams, no lines to try and keep straight, not going to shrink and leave gaps.

Old 03-21-14, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,713 Upvotes on 1,529 Posts
I do not know of any "grout" for vinyl tiles. There are some tiles that are printed to look like tile with grout lines. There is a vinyl seam sealer though not a grout you apply it to the seams to help seal the two edges together. I think it is intended for sheet vinyl where you generally just have one seam. I'm not sure I'd be up for the tedious task of sealing all the edges if using squares.

I have tried plain peel & stick over clean, new plywood and it holds so-so and is very susceptible to water. Next better I tried some floors using a vinyl tile primer coat applied to the wood and it was a step up from nothing. Then I tried some floors troweling out vinyl flooring adhesive which worked the best and about the same with peel & stick as tiles without the peel & stick.

From what I've seen much depends on the quality of what's underneath the vinyl. Best is glue on smooth, clean concrete. Next best has been gluing to a premium engineered sheeting like Advantech. Then comes plywood and lastly luan or other thin, cheap substrates.

Old 03-21-14, 06:02 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What do you mean by "quality sheet"? Sorry for my ignorance.

Old 03-21-14, 06:08 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No form of linoleum should ever be glued to OSB or Advantech.
It needs 1/4 underlayment rated plywood with all the seams and flaws filled.
Quality means not one of those "remnant" rolls you can buy in the box store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: