Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

Process for taking up layers of linoleum, tiling over top, and installing cabs?

Old 08-11-14, 05:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Just started a kitchen reno. We've removed about three layers of linoleum and the last layer is torn off in pieces but there's like a white paper backing and some kind of black tar under that adhering everything to the plywood subfloor. It occurred to us (too late, obviously) that we might be releasing asbestos fibers into the air and we stopped.

The end goal is to lay slate. Can we quit where we are, fill lower spots in with a self-leveler and/or thinset, lay concrete backerboard, and thinset/tile over that?

The other question is cabinets. We plan to tile around our cabinet bases. Is it ok to install our cabinets over the floor as it currently is (very thin layers of paper, linoleum backing, black tar stuff) or do we need to cover it with something?

DH says I'm worrying about nothing and refuses to continue work until I stop nagging him with questions... help!

Old 08-11-14, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Depending on the age of the house, you could be encountering an asbestos product and cut back adhesive which has asbestos in it as well. While it would be best to get rid of it all, you can thinset the floor and install 1/4" concrete backer unerlayment (I like hardiebacker, but Durock is fine, too) Adhere to the nailing sequence of the manufacturer.

As long as you can get your cabinets level with the aberrations in the floor, you can lay them on top of the boogers.

You're not worrying about nothing, but stop nagging him
You got questions, let us know, but leave him alone so he can work. Good luck with the renovation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: