Install flooring over this gap (pic)?

Old 11-19-14, 06:04 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install flooring over this gap (pic)?

Probably a dumb question, but I'm about to install vinyl flooring in my mudroom. Along house's perimeter side, there is what I can only guess is supposed to be some sorter of poor idea at water drainage. It starts at a door in the mudroom, and continues into the crawl space. As you can see, the tiles there now don't cover it. My question is, when I put the new flooring down, should I (a) simply cover over it (it's traffic master allure; I don't anticipate putting anything so close to the wall that it would weigh down where the gap is); (b) don't cover it, as the previous owners did and leave it exposes; (c) fill it in and cover it (I was thinking if I fill it, of using some kind of drainage sand?)

Thanks for the help!

Name:  IMG_3905.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  29.7 KB

** EDIT ** so I realize it's kind of hard to see the gap since it looks the same as the current flooring, but if you look closely you'll see it's about 2" wide (and it's about 1 1/2 " deep)

Old 11-21-14, 10:56 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you put a chair or table against that wall it can fall through the vinyl into the crack. You should put up drywall and base molding or fill it with something more stable than drainage sand (I'm thinking drainage sand is loose like sandbox sand). It's nice to have that space available for cables though, so I'd rather use drywall than fill it.

Oh, and here's my attempt to flatten the edges of my linoleum which curled up despite having a full floor under it and being glued around the edges. Todays vinyl is probably better, but it's not made to be installed like you're considering. Of the three options you mentioned, I'd leave it uncovered.

Name:  linoleum-flattening.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  22.7 KB

Last edited by Borad; 11-21-14 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 11:25 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well, it depends on how useful that space is as a drain. I'd cover it with something that could take weight either way but maybe install a proper drain plate over it.

Old 11-22-14, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Does the drainage "ditch" carry water, actively? Has it ever carried water? At 1 1/2" in depth, you would possibly need to fill it in with concrete patch material after you have removed your vinyl, smoothing it out for the Allure installation. The allure will break if anything heavy is placed on it. I know you don't have plans on that, but it happens.

Old 11-26-14, 07:03 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I got impatient and just put it right over the gap. I wasn't entirely sure what that gap was for anyway. I assumed for water, but there's no evidence there has ever been water in it.

I didn't even fill it with sand or anything lol. There will never be anything of weight directly over that small gap so oh well. I can stand as far in the corner as possible with all my weight and nothing, so I'll just deal with it later if anything ever happens.Name:  IMG_3912.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  33.9 KB

Last edited by lovindiy; 11-26-14 at 07:23 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: