Vinyl planks, plywood, and carpet insulation

Old 11-27-14, 11:56 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Vinyl planks, plywood, and carpet insulation

Hi everyone, I am new to the site and just started my first home project. I have a 2nd floor 16x12 foot bedroom that had a carpet. I removed the carpet and insulation and currently working on tightning some squeaky areas. I am thinking of installing vinyl planks in this room, but have a concern about noise being transmitted to downstairs, mainly as a result of walking on the new floor. I don't have insulation between the floors, and would like to avoid dealing with that.

I thought about keeping the carpet insulation (and perhaps even the carpet as well), and installing thin plywood on top of the carpet, then installing the vinyl planks on top of the plywood. My thinking is that having the carpet insulation layer will reduce the walking noise transferred to downstairs.

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on this. Thanks!

Old 11-27-14, 02:33 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not going to work!
Vinyl planks need to be installed over a hard flat surface.
No way should you be laying plywood over any type of carpet.
Any hard flooring is going to transmit sound and feel cold to the feet.

Old 11-27-14, 02:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Andy7, welcome to the forums! Yep, not gonna work. It may come down to either replacing the carpet and padding for a more silent floor, or going all out and installing the Allure or even a good engineered click lock flooring, with the increased sound transmission possibilities. You could always install the harder floor and place throw rugs in strategic pathways to reduce the majority of the noise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: