VCT adhesive for sealed concrete?

Old 03-05-15, 09:40 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
VCT adhesive for sealed concrete?

I have a small (7x9) basement bathroom that had old commercial vinyl tile that I removed. The tile was there for probably 40 years and the reason I removed it (carefully due to probable asbestos) was because some tiles next to the shower door had loosened and cracked/crumbled. The subfloor is concrete. The underlying adhesive was black (cutback?) that I cleaned off with mineral spirits then cleaned the floor with TSP. Once the concrete was cleaned it was very smooth (very minor pits in some sporadic areas) and appeared to have been sealed. I want to put VCT tile on the floor and have a couple of questions centering mainly on assuring adequate adhesion of the VCT to the concrete:

1. Since the old concrete looks like it was sealed is there a particular adhesive that I’d need to use?
2. Is there some further cleaning of the concrete that you’d recommend I perform?

I’m presuming there is no moisture issue – and I see no evidence of one – as the original tiles lasted 40+ years with it finally only failing due to a dripping shower door (that I’ve fixed).

Thanks for your help!!

Old 03-06-15, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 33 Posts
You should never have used mineral spirits. It will be extremely difficult to get any adhesive to stick now. You need to find a product that you can skim coat over the residue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: