Vinyl Flooring Fitting

Old 04-19-15, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Flooring Fitting

I have an L shaped bathroom that I need to replace the flooring and I was going to go with a fiberglass backing flooring. The current flooring is good shape but stained. I have ceramic tile all around so cutting to fit is critical. I was going to make a template but was wondering if I took my time I could trim it to fit. I will caulk around the perimeter when I'm done. Am I on the right track? Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-15, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not sure what fiberglas backed flooring is, so it may need clarification. If you have ceramic tile all around, why don't you do this room in ceramic? Sure would be a lot easier and would look much better and last longer. If you decide to go with the sheet goods, you will need to install shoe molding around the perimeter, not caulk.

Old 04-19-15, 07:20 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Old 04-19-15, 08:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Most mills call it vinyl-backed vinyl. Very user friendly. I have installed tons of it. You can wad it up and not hurt it. Doesn't have to be glued. I would use the old for a pattern if possible and caulk around it when done. You cannot use 1/4 rd or shoe molding with it unless you can nail it to the wall.

Old 04-19-15, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might not be easier to do ceramic. Ceramic takes a much stiffer floor. Might have to add another layer of plywood.

Old 04-20-15, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Rusty, does it lay "that" flat so as not to need edging like shoe molding? I still like the ceramic solution.

Old 04-20-15, 06:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It lays fine. Don't know that most DIYers can trim it that well.

Old 04-21-15, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Flooring

I installed some a few years but I had molding to put down. Don't won't ceramic flooring. Would be too much ceramic. The flooring store told me it was fiberglass back. But it is easy to work with. The floor I installed has held up well. There are different grades so I would go with the thicker flooring.

Saw a way to make to make a template. Lay down the template paper about an inch or so from the wall the put your square against the wall and mark your template with a pencil using the other side of the square. That way you match the wall contour.

Set the template on the flooring, line square up with you marked line the mark the tile with other side of square. Should be almost perfect fit.