Wisconsin cottage flooring – Help!

Old 08-18-15, 12:10 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wisconsin cottage flooring – Help!

Hello! My family owns a small, not-fancy cottage in northern Wisconsin. It is not heated all winter and it does get cold up there. The bathroom is about 20 years old and is a poured concrete floor. It had been topped with inexpensive tiles and indoor/outdoor carpeting. We recently removed both of those when we added a utility sink. Now we just have the concrete down and want to get something on it. Any recommendations? I should warn you, my parents still own this cottage and they are quite thrifty so they would prefer durable, easy to install and long lasting over something that looks great but won't last. Thanks!

Last edited by jb1030; 08-18-15 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 12:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What shape is the concrete in? My first thought is just to stain it.

Old 08-18-15, 12:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is in decent shape. Our flooring guy at home recommended interlocking tiles, but my parents were hoping for a less expensive option.

Old 08-18-15, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 915 Upvotes on 773 Posts
I agree with Stickshift, paint it with a concrete paint. That would be the least expensive.

Ceramic tile can normally be had for $1 per square foot + install and grout. It is not hard to install, especially on concrete, and a wet saw.

Next up I would look at Luxury Vinyl Plank or Luxury Vinyl Tile.

Old 08-18-15, 04:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
You mention winter and heat. Do you want something warmer under foot? I know you mentioned interlocking tiles might be too expensive but what about interlocking rubber or foam exercise or playground mat? It would keep your feet off the cold concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: