Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

How to install new floor & cover with vinyl or vinyl tile floor?

Old 08-30-16, 10:17 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am remodeling a modular house that is on a permanent foundation. I'm gutting nearly all of it, putting in new floors, walls, etc. I had to completely cut out the pressed wood floor in one room due to it being damaged by pet urine! I am installing a new pressed wood floor & then want to cover with some type of vinyl. Do I just glue the pressed wood to the floor joists? Or should & can I use some screws too? Then is there any other prep I need to do to the pressed wood before I install the vinyl?? I also was going to paint latex Kilz over the pressed wood in other rooms to try to cover the cigarette smell imbedded in the floor. Will there be any problem with installing a laminate wood floor over the Kilz?

Old 08-30-16, 10:24 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
What exactly is 'pressed wood?'

Can you post some pictures?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Also, latex Kilz will not get the job done, you need an oil based primer.

Old 08-30-16, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You removed particle board. Hopefully what you are replacing it with either Advantech or, at least, OSB, which is not "pressed" board, but Oriented Stranded Board. We commonly call particle board "pressed" board, so there is a nomenclature disparity.

Pictures sure would help us.

Old 08-30-16, 05:25 PM
M
I'm sorry I'm not good with the correct terms of the flooring. I do know that we are replacing the floor I cut out with 5/8 OSB. I didn't take any pictures yet.

Old 08-30-16, 05:30 PM
M
What won't latex Kilz work on?

Old 08-30-16, 06:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Latex Kilz has known adhesion issues and latex primers just can't match the sealing properties of their oil based counterparts.

Old 08-31-16, 04:22 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Vinyl needs a super flat floor and a smooth 1/4" underlayment is usually put down over the OSB to provide that surface. The nail holes and seams are skimmed smooth before installation of the flooring.

Old 08-31-16, 05:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
The molecules in solvent based coatings are closer together than latex which allows solvent coatings to better seal the substrate .... at least that was how it was explained to me

Latex primers are often just a short term fix for sealing odors or stains. Oil base primers do a good job of sealing odors/stains, pigmented shellac [like Zinnser's BIN] is the ultimate stain and odor sealer.

Old 09-01-16, 08:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Not everyone can, but I can still smell urine after Kilz is used. I hope you cannot.

Old 09-01-16, 10:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Whichever solvent primer is used, it needs to be a heavy fluid coat in order to seal the odor. IMO oil base kilz does as well as any other oil base primer. If it's extra bad it's best to use a pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN - it's the ultimate stain/odor sealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: