Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

Best solution for covering asbestos tile when floors are not level

Old 12-12-17, 12:03 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We were hoping to remove some old vinyl tiles in the kitchen of our circa 1900 home and replace with sheet vinyl because our floors are not level. This is not our forever home; our objective is just to put down something that looks better and more modern without spending much money. However, we were told that the floor under the top vinyl is vinyl tiles with asbestos (no test was done, so I suppose we can't be absolutely certain about that). Because the top layer of vinyl has wide grooves at the seams, the person taking the floor measurement suggested not doing an adhesive floor over it (like the sheet vinyl we were thinking about). So the options he suggested were to remove the asbestos tiles (yuck--we have two cats and two small children and who the heck knows what is under the asbestos tiles) or to cover it with plank flooring. The latter is not a great option either because the floors are very uneven--there is a large bump and dip towards the back of the house, I'm assuming from an addition. That's why we were hoping to do a flexible type of flooring. What do you think is the best solution here as far as the cheapest and safest solution while still looking decent?

Old 12-12-17, 01:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I don't think vinyl was ever a good choice, it needs a pretty perfect subfloor, as it transmits bumps and such through it. Typically, it is installed on a 1/4" plywood underlayment.

Are you putting something down for you or to help sell the house?

Old 12-12-17, 01:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
While I have not used it, I was told about it by a supplier who has since sold his business. But supposedly, there is a heavy duty sheet vinyl that is more forgiving of the subfloor imperfections and requires less preparation. You can look into that and start your search. Or you skim coat the existing seams with a patching material and proceed as you had originally planned. Just take Stickshift's advisement that normal vinyl will telescope all imperfections from below to the surface.

Old 12-15-17, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
A DIY friendly vinyl like Flexitec will hide most imperfections. It is thick and easy to install. It is not glued so it kinda floats on top.

Old 12-17-17, 08:24 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stickshift
I don't think vinyl was ever a good choice, it needs a pretty perfect subfloor, as it transmits bumps and such through it. Typically, it is installed on a 1/4" plywood underlayment.

Are you putting something down for you or to help sell the house?
Thanks for your comments. I was confused as to why the person measuring the floor was saying that they wouldn't install something over the existing vinyl unless it could be a floating floor. Seems like there are other options!

Yes, we are hoping to sell our house in the next few years, so this is for us for now, but with the hopes of doing something low cost to improve resale.

Another thought--assuming it IS asbestos, is there anything dangerous about removing the newer top vinyl (it seems to pop off pretty easily) and leaving the possible asbestos tile down and going over that? My understanding of asbestos is that it is ok if not removed and particles released. If done with respirators, taping off area, etc. is removing the top vinyl a possibility to do ourselves or do you recommend just staying away from that?

Old 12-18-17, 01:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
If you need to remove the top layer, do it. Asbestos is only dangerous when it is friable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: