Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sheet Linoleum Replacement

PA

01-18-18, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Sheet Linoleum Replacement

I have an entranceway and kitchen linoleum I would like to replace. I was wondering what the best way would be to get it torn up. Under it is subfloor I believe. I would love to just do some vinyl tile but there will be a clearance issue with the front door. I want to be able to keep the rug there. I plan on doing a vinyl plank type flooring which isn't to thick.

Side note.....Would love to do a section in front of the door with tile(like 3ft) but is it a must that I use hardie backer? If so I could cut the subfloor and put down the board.

Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by diyplank; 01-18-18 at 09:35 AM. Reason: photo

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-18-18, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)  
More than likely the vinyl is glued to a 1/4" underlayment which you would take up as you remove the vinyl.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

01-18-18, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)  
You would need backer board and likely more plywood for tile so it may not be a viable option in front of the door ('m assuming this is not on a concrete slab).

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

01-18-18, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)  
When you tear up the vinyl and 1/4" underlayment, your floor would likely be ready for a floating laminate floor if you like that. Your height would end up maybe 1/8" higher than your existing floor.

PA

01-18-18, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Ok...thanks for all the info. I did youtube it and if its glued it will be a pain.

I do like laminate but I am worried about moisture in the kitchen area. I know it has come a long way etc but I don't know. I even like the ceramic tile that looks like wood but I don't plan on keeping this house so I wanna do something nice but not over the top.

Search this Thread