Sheet Linoleum Replacement

Old 01-18-18, 08:30 AM
Sheet Linoleum Replacement

I have an entranceway and kitchen linoleum I would like to replace. I was wondering what the best way would be to get it torn up. Under it is subfloor I believe. I would love to just do some vinyl tile but there will be a clearance issue with the front door. I want to be able to keep the rug there. I plan on doing a vinyl plank type flooring which isn't to thick.

Side note.....Would love to do a section in front of the door with tile(like 3ft) but is it a must that I use hardie backer? If so I could cut the subfloor and put down the board.

Thanks

Attached Images  

Last edited by diyplank; 01-18-18 at 08:35 AM. Reason: photo
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-18, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
More than likely the vinyl is glued to a 1/4" underlayment which you would take up as you remove the vinyl.

Old 01-18-18, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
You would need backer board and likely more plywood for tile so it may not be a viable option in front of the door ('m assuming this is not on a concrete slab).

Old 01-18-18, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
When you tear up the vinyl and 1/4" underlayment, your floor would likely be ready for a floating laminate floor if you like that. Your height would end up maybe 1/8" higher than your existing floor.

Old 01-18-18, 03:01 PM
Ok...thanks for all the info. I did youtube it and if its glued it will be a pain.

I do like laminate but I am worried about moisture in the kitchen area. I know it has come a long way etc but I don't know. I even like the ceramic tile that looks like wood but I don't plan on keeping this house so I wanna do something nice but not over the top.