Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Floating vinyl floor

02-19-18, 08:10 AM   #1  
Floating vinyl floor

Hello, I need some flooring advice. Iím replacing the floor in my kitchen/dining room. Itís 11í x 22í. Iím in the process of removing old peel and stick tiles and then using self leveler to fix some sloping in my subfloor. Having said that, itís entirely possible I wonít get it to a perfect level. I want to use a sheet vinyl floating floor. With an area of 11í x 22í, is that too big for a sheet vinyl floating floor? Should it be split up and seamed?

What about the snap together floating vinyl planks? Would these be a better option?

Sponsored Links

02-19-18, 09:05 AM   #2  
I cant speak to sheet vinyl, I have never installed but everything you mention is a relatively easy project, even wood, although I'm not a fan of wood floors in a kitchen.

My buddy just installed vinyl flooring in he cabin which was recommended due to the temp variations when it's closed down in the winter. He is very happy with how that turned out!

Group Moderator

02-20-18, 06:22 AM   #3  
We did vinyl strip/plank snap together vinyl in out kitchen last year and we LOVE it. Ours took less work being on slab. We laid right over the existing peel and stick squares that was already on top of sheet lino. At the lower right corner you can see where I hadn't installed the transition yet.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Forum Topic Moderator

02-20-18, 04:19 PM   #4  
Sheet vinyl goods will be more forgiving to a less than level floor, however, it will show any irregularities through it over time.

Self levelers are not meant to go directly over wood subfloors. Check the installation instructions for your brand as most require wire lath to give the compound something to grab onto.

Look into cork backed vinyl flooring that has a PVC inner core. Rigid and durable. Click lock and floating. The thin vinyl click lock does not lay well over a wavy subfloor.

Search this Thread