Recommendations for vinyl plank in basement bathroom.

Old 07-31-18, 08:25 AM
Recommendations for vinyl plank in basement bathroom.

Alright im going crazy spinning in circles trying to find the best flooring for my application.

We are renovating our basement full bathroom. The bathroom also has our mechanical room attached to it in a closet. And there is a floor drain somewhat in the center of the room. So there is a slight slope towards the drain, something around 1/8" per 4 feet.

Any recommendations for what flooring will work best for the application? I'm leaning towards vinyl plank due to its waterproof characteristics. I dont like tiles

I'm open to any flooring available at a box store and would like it to be $3 psf or less (Canadian).

And secondly is there a floor drain cover type of deal to put on your vinyl (or any) flooring so it drains down into the floor drain on the concrete?

Thanks, TTiffin

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-18, 01:34 PM
Current experience with my uneven floor shows that the rigidity of the planks precludes sloping unless you can screw down the drain cover, drawing the floor inward toward the drain.

Old 08-01-18, 02:10 PM
Well last night we took a leap and bought some mohawk brand LVP. We went with it because it has a high wear rating and seems to be very flexible, so much so if you hold it in the middle of the plank the two ends would touch together from sagging. So I'm hoping its sufficient enough to follow the slope. In any case I'll report back once its done in case anyone else has the same predicament.

Old 08-03-18, 02:06 PM
Sounds good. As vinyl plank flooring "floats" on the subsurface, I was imagining your drain situation might have an abrupt slope and therefore it would be difficult to get it to slope to the drain without affixing it with screws or adhesive. But since it sounds like its a general slope over the whole floor, there should be enough space for it to flex naturally, without coercion.