Can adhesive be thinned?

Old 10-23-18, 08:23 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can adhesive be thinned?

I will be laying Tandus Centiva LVT planking on cement using Centi 6000 SP adhesive and the dry 'removable' method. I've done this before without issue. Here's the question. I have about 2 gallons of adhesive left in the bucket that has thickened up a little since the last install and it is proving to be a little difficult to spread with my trowel. . I really don't want to throw out a 1/2 bucket of adhesive just because it got a little thick. The adhesive is water based. So can I thin the adhesive with a little water?? Will that affect the performance of the adhesive? If I can't thin with water, can I thin it with something else, and what would that be?

I've tried contacting Tarkett and also Flooring International of America (makers of adhesive) with no replies.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 10-23-18, 01:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Just how old is it? If you thin it, I would stick with clean water but not much....

Old 10-23-18, 03:56 PM
Received 504 Votes on 467 Posts
Is it really worth risking a flooring issue over a 1/2 bucket of adhesive?

Old 10-23-18, 07:00 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adhesive thinning

It's only about 3-4 months old. Not sure the bucket was sealed all that well. Marq1 makes an excellent point. It's probably not worth risking a flooring failure over a 1/2 bucket of glue.

Thanks for the info and the wake-up call.
JBNC1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: