Vinyl Plank Flooring Install (and working backwards??)

Old 06-20-19, 01:14 PM
Exclamation Vinyl Plank Flooring Install (and working backwards??)

Hi all...

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am currently in the process of preparing to install vinyl plank flooring in my basement. The basement has been finished open concept - which will make the long runs quite easy; however, due to the shape of my room I had a question.

I want to run my flooring the long way down my hallway. Even if I ran it the other way I would still have the same questions though. So I know you try to work left to right and start in the left hand corner. My problem/question - as you will see clearly on the attached picture...is that the room will widen in both directions.

So keeping with the theme of working left to right...what should I do when I reach the are where the room expands left? Would I work backwards for the first row and then, starting from the second row in the expanded area, resume the left to right install?

Thanks in advance

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-19, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
I would use a laser or chalk line and mark a long straight line down the long axis (down your hallway. Then in the narrower room where you want to start carefully measure from the laser/chalk line over to near the wall and mark the floor. Make two measurements as far apart as possible. Then use a laser or chalk line to connect those two points. That is your starting reference. Start laying your flooring and every couple rows take measurements back to your long line to make sure you are still parallel. Correct as needed along the way to maintain parallel to your long line. Then when the room widens your planks will be parallel and straight down the hallway.

Old 06-20-19, 01:39 PM
Thanks Dane...I understand what you are saying about the long axis...although you may have confused me in regards to the additional lines....how close to the wall? The width of the board plus the 1/4 inch for spacer? Or just the 1/4 inch for the spacer? Parallel to the long axis line I'm assuming?

Old 06-20-19, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Mark your starting line where you want to start your flooring. Many floorings recommend leaving a gap around the perimeter of the room. If that is still too close to the wall for you to work measure the width of your flooring planks and subtract that so your starting line marks the back side of your starting strip instead of the front/leading edge.

Old 06-20-19, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I lay about 20 or so boards clicked together just in single width wise file. I then take a tape measure and lay it over the whole mock row. I take the measurements at each width of a new tile and write it on a paper, I call it my story board.

I then take a lot of measurements to all critical areas where change happens and make sure that I don't end up with a sliver cut or a tremendous amount of waste. I use that story board to determine what to rip my first row at and then start from there and move in a positive direction across the room. You should not have to work backwards.

Old 06-20-19, 04:52 PM
If I were doing a wood floor I would start along one of the hallway walls and then when I got into the open room install a spline in the groove and go in both directions.

I've never installed vinyl so not sure the same process can/would apply!

Old 06-20-19, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vinyl is more stable than wood, so not spline needed. Also, couldn't get a spline to work on a click lock system.

Old 06-21-19, 08:32 AM
Czizzi...given my starting point (top left) I can't see any other way than working backwards. It would only be for one row to get to the "left" for the widest part of the room. If I were to start at the widest point of the room I would be working backwards/up for a good 10 rows to hit my "starting point" - so that option doesn't make sense.

Which leads me back to the current starting point...I can't see a way to avoid it for that one row to get to that west (if we consider up to be north) wall