Vinyl on cement stairs

Old 07-13-19, 01:14 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl on cement stairs

I have an enclosed back porch with concrete stairs leading down and wood stairs leading up.

I picked up some trafficmaster self adhesive vinyl planks. I am looking to use this on both the tread and the risers.

What is an appropriate sealer to use on the concrete steps that will work with the primer for the vinyl planks?

If I have made a poor choice in product, could you provide a more appropriate brand or product that is commonly found with brand name and required materials for installation?

Thank you in advance and for your thoroughness in response.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-19, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
Your stairs would have to be very perfect and flat in order for anything to stick to them. I think you would be better off gluing an outdoor carpet on them.

If you want to use vinyl planks you need to use ones that are specifically for glue down installations. (Not self adhesive). Just Google glue down vinyl plank and read the product installation directions for glue down. Then you will also need a glue down rubber or vinyl nosing for the corner.

Old 07-13-19, 01:31 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you

Thank you, on the wooden steps I planned on using a screw down underlayment to provide the flat surface as there is an old linoleum flooring down.

The concrete steps are very smooth and in good condition much like a basement floor.

What is an appropriate vapor barrier to use?

Thank you for the recommendation on using a glue down plank instead.

Old 07-13-19, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
You could either roll on a liquid sealer like Hydrohalt that is a vapor barrier or just use a glue that's a vapor retarder. Your product directions may contain product suggestions for concrete installations, so that's why I said refer to their directions.