Which direction to lay vinyl planks?

Old 08-22-19, 11:39 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which direction to lay vinyl planks?

Hi all,

I’m installing rigid click lock vinyl plank flooring in one bedroom only and wanted to find out which direction would be most aesthetically pleasing given the space. The room is an 11 x 11 square (excluding the closet). In case it is relevant, the room is in a single-story house, the planks will be laid over concrete, and the hallway outside the bedroom has tile flooring.

I’ve attached a view of the bedroom from the doorway, a photo of what it used to look like with furniture, and a diagram of the room’s general layout. The room will have a lot less stuff in it, but will have similar amounts of newer, less bulky furniture. The closet doors are mirrored, and the bed will remain on the same side of the room as shown, in case that info helps with determining plank direction.

What are your thoughts? Perpendicular or parallel to the door wall (wall #1)?

Thank you in advance for any opinions on the floor direction. I look forward to deciding which way to put them and finally getting them installed!

Attached Images    
Old 08-22-19, 11:54 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Normally flooring is laid perpendicular to the floor joists but you dont have that issue.

Honestly there is no right or wrong answer, after installing and putting down a few rugs the direction sort of becomes invisible.

If I had any preference at all it would be perpendicular to closets or doors but again no reason it has to be!

Capable_Wife voted this post useful.
Old 08-22-19, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would put it parallel with the closet and door.

Old 09-01-19, 09:01 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, my first thought would be parallel also, one reason is that I believe the joints would be less noticeable when you walk into the room.
JMO
Geo

Old 09-01-19, 10:06 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I agree parallel. And supposedly parallel to a windowed wall. Usually parallel to the length of the room to make it look bigger. But in your case doesn't matter.

Capable_Wife voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: