Vinyl floor tiles

Old 09-01-19, 03:59 PM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Vinyl floor tiles

I recently bought a house that has vinyl flooring in the kitchen that must be taken up. I am going to use 18" x 18" self sticking vinyl tiles instead. Must I remove the one piece vinyl flooring or can I just put the plywood underlayment over the old vinyl? The vinyl is in good shape and seems to be solid in place but my wife wants a different color. Thanks.

Rich

Old 09-01-19, 06:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Self stick tiles generally don't stick for long so I would half a$$ the job anyway and just install over the existing tile.

Old 09-02-19, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Have you considered upgrading to vinyl/PVC plank style flooring? Our kitchen originally had sheet vinyl/linoleum. About 15 years ago or so I did the peel & stick over it. Lasted okay, but never did like the look. Finally peeled it all up (left the original floor down) and floored over with the vinyl planks. WE LOVE IT! The stuff we used was

Old 09-02-19, 05:31 AM
Group Moderator
Old 09-02-19, 06:48 AM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion and it's a very good one, but my daughter is going to be renting the house from us and she said she wants that vinyl product. She will have two years to decide if she and her hubby want to buy the house (built in 1910) from us or relocate. If they don't want to buy it from us my wife and I are already talking about downsizing and moving there. That plank style might be the ticket for my wife and me but not so for the millennial age people.

Old 09-02-19, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Hmmm. Well I admit I'm a little older than the millennial crowd, but the first place I saw it being used was on one of the fix-it shows on HGTV (Love It or List It) and most of the folks who are loving or listing seem to be millennials.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: