Nailing transition piece into slab floor?

Old 10-10-19, 06:34 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nailing transition piece into slab floor?

I am installing new vinyl tile flooring over existing vinyl. Anyway my question is about the transition pieces that meet the carpet in adjouning rooms. The transition pieces that I am removing where nailed down with what looks like the same nails that are use when nailing into a wood floor. Just spiral shank nails that usually come with the transition pieces.

I am wondering how to nail the transition pieces down to the slab floor? Do I need to predrill the holes that the nails will go in? Just drill a little smaller than the nail?

I am going to attach a couple of pics of the ones that I am removing so you can see what I am talking about. That is if I can figure out how to do that. LOL

Attached Images   
Old 10-10-19, 08:13 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The nicer transition strips have a channel that is screwed to the floor, use small Tapcon screw, then the transition strip itself snaps into the channel!

Old 10-10-19, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
If you are using the gold flat metal. Predrill holes larger than the screwnails. Push a small dowel rod into the holes and the nails will fit tight when driven in.

Old 10-12-19, 05:34 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I like this idea and would have used it but I wound up using the smallest plastic anchors I could find and then nailed into them. Same idea as the dowels. Seems to have worked good. Nails are holding transition piece down tight. If they come loose in the future I will go back with your idea of wooden dowels. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: