LVT Flooring for Small Bathroom

Old 10-20-19, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LVT Flooring for Small Bathroom

Hi all,

I posted last week about needing to redo my floor due to a plumbing problem, but this post is specifically about LVT / LVP. I know there are a lot of opinions out there on this stuff but here goes...
  • I'm seeing things called LV tiles, planks, and flooring all interchangably. Are they different? I'm looking for click lock specifically.
  • My bathroom is down to the subfloor, which is 3/4" OSB. Do I need to do anything else to prep this besides making sure it is clean and even? I see some install videos lay down 1/4" plywood, and others don't.
  • What thickness should I be looking for? The old floor was linoleum on 1/4" plywood. The adjacent hallway is already LVT/LVP. Do I try to match the height with that?
  • Padding pre-installed or not?
  • Should I limit my selection based on tile width or length? Given it is a small room, do I want larger tiles for less repeats? Or smaller tiles so I don't have as many tile cuts to do?
  • Install under vanity or around it? I imagine under a cabinet style vanity is unnecessary but makes changing the vanity in the future easier... but costs the extra tiles. It's also less cuts to just go under it.
  • Locally, I can buy from Home Depot or Lowe's. Bad idea? Should I consider online retailers such as iFloor or Build Direct? Any other recommendations?
  • As for a toilet flange, which is the whole cause for this renovation, do I tile right up to and around the flange (with the flange mounted to the subfloor), or try to get the flooring cut around the drain pipe and install the flange over the tile?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-19, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just a friendly bump... still looking into all of this stuff.

Old 10-25-19, 05:17 AM
Received 77 Votes on 71 Posts
FWIW...If it were me I would put another layer of cement board over the subfloor. I would also tile under the vanity and set the vanity on top of the LVF. I think smaller planks will give the room a larger look or roomier feel. As long as the LVF is a name brand it makes little difference on where you buy it. Yes tile up to the toilet flange already secured to the floor. The LVF should be within a 1/8 in of being level with the flange and should be OK.