Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

Am I being too picky about our Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring Installation?

Old 04-06-20, 11:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I just bought cork-backed LVP flooring for my whole downstairs- It is Invincible H20 brand. Invincible H20 flooring is made by CoreTec (from what I understand) and is the same (uses the same technology and standards) but is privately branded for Carpet One.

Anyhow, I paid about 5 dollars per square foot so I feel like that is a fairly high price point and an investment that I want to protect. We hired a professional installer but there are a few minor things that are bugging me about the install. But I'm not sure that they should be bugging me, as I know I am an "over-analyzer" and worrier. I also don't know anything about flooring or installation and if a "perfect" floor is even possible.

The main thing I noticed right after install is that there are a few "soft" spots in the floor. These spots are mainly at or near points in our floor where there were transitions in height. Our floor was definitely uneven. The installer did use a leveling compound but not on the whole entire floor. The flooring was installed over the subfloor- he did entirely demo all the tile and carpet, leaving plywood in one area and concrete in another. He spread the leveling compound between these two areas because there was some unevenness in height between the two floors. So the "soft" spot where I can feel some "give" under the planks when I walk is not right at the transition of those two uneven floors but rather a few feet beyond it where the compound was "feathered out". I hope that makes sense.

Overall, we had a lot of unevenness to our floors and the vast majority of our floor feels pretty solid so I'm wondering if I'm being too picky wishing that there were no "low spots" at all. I know these "soft spots" where there is a bit of "give" underfoot when you walk is not due to expansion/contraction because they were there immediately after install and there also seems to be the appropriate small gap around all edges of the room- so the planks were not put in too tight.

So my main questions are these:

Is it unreasonable to be upset by a couple of low spots where the floor feels a bit soft (although only minimally) and not completely "solid" underfoot when the vast majority of the 800 square feet space is good (keeping in mind that the floor had levelling/height issues to begin with)?

Will these minor "low spots" under the floor that are causing the floor to feel "soft" compromise the integrity of the floor as a whole? I want to know this because if the main problem with this "low spot" issue is only the annoyance I personally have by the "feel" of it then that isn't as big of a deal as if it might mean that our floors won't hold up well for some reason because of it.

Is there any chance that our Invincible H20 flooring- with its 8mm thickness and cork backing- will "settle" into those minor low spots a bit over time so that I don't notice them? If not, is there any safe way of repairing those low/soft spots without taking all the floors up to that point and relaying?

Any help from people who know a bit about flooring would be so so so so appreciated! We put most of our money/savings into this project and I just feel really bad worrying about it and I don't want to worry about it. I love our floors and they really look beautiful- I just want to know that our investment is okay and that this "issue" isn't a major deal.

Thank you so much in advance for any insight!

adbatten1 voted this post useful.
Old 04-06-20, 01:10 PM
Received 1,057 Upvotes on 959 Posts
So I'm sure you have called and talked to the installer about your concerns, what did he say?

Old 04-06-20, 01:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No, I have not yet talked to the installer. I want other opinions before I do so that I can hopefully be armed with some information and other perspectives. The floor looks great and I noticed the low spot under the flooring or soft spot only after he left- the floor, for the most part, is great and seems solid, etc... Its just that one low/soft spot that I notice the most and then there is another couple of spots that I wouldn't notice just by walking on it casually but once I went around the whole floor purposely "toeing" it and checking for any fraction of "give" I was able to feel just a tiny amount of give if I was purposely looking for it by going around and standing over places and "toeing" downwards every few feet. So the only spot I really notice "give" in from a low spot underneath is just the one spot- that's the only one I can notice anything without purposely looking for it.

I am just wondering if this is to be expected (at least minimally) in an older house with lots of floor variations, etc... Our installer did use a levelling compound but not on the entirety of the whole floor. I am just wondering if I can expect a floor to be almost "perfect". And if not, is having a "low spot" as I described a big deal in terms of the integrity of the floor? Or is it more just an annoyance of "feel"? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-20, 03:50 PM
Received 1,057 Upvotes on 959 Posts
Every flooring manufacturer provides specifications for flatness over a given area, that should have been known and checked prior to installation.

Again, you should talk to your installer about your concerns!

Old 04-06-20, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Upvotes on 24 Posts
Was there any discussion about the floor being level? He would have charged more if he would have spread leveler on the whole floor. Was that discussed?

Old 04-07-20, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
When you select a flooring type the condition of the floor needs to be seriously considered.
If your floor is not perfectly flat you would certainly be able to successfully install what you purchased but the installer would have to go to great lengths to level it so there would not be soft spots.
Or, you could have chosen a flooring type that would more conform to a few low areas..
I think that your installer could have likely done a better job at reducing low spots but it may have cost a fair bit more.

A type of flooring that would better conform to a slightly uneven floor is loose-lay vinyl planks.
The one I am familiar with is fairly thick and durable but is flexible and does not lock into the piece next to it and can conform to an undulating base.

Old 04-07-20, 11:27 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
That's a tough question. I think you're right - to eliminate any deviation would have required probably more leveling. As you used a thicker product, it handles most of those deviations without a problem, but there's obviously a few low spots. I'm honestly not sure how I would feel as a homeowner or the installer to have a less-than-perfect installation.

When I had a few LVP installations done, the installer talked to me about some of the potential problem areas. We discussed about fixing a few of them, and leaving a few since there was no simple solution. So at least I knew what I was going to get in those spots.

Personally, I would reach out to the installer and share your concerns. I can't say he "did it wrong", nor can I say that you need to live with it.

Based on experience though, even if you keep it the way it is, in a few months, you'll likely forget about it every time you walk over it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: