Glue down vinyl tile any good?

Old 09-18-20, 06:12 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glue down vinyl tile any good?

My local stores such as Home Depot and Lowe's don't sell alot of glue down for vinyl. But they sell plenty of peel&stick and drop&click.

How come they don't sell it. I feel like I prefer glue down for vinyl, because I like to use a trout, thinset, and grout. The reason I wanna try vinyl over ceramic is they are less cold on ur feet.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-20, 07:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
I think big box home centers cater to "easy". Glue & trowels might be daunting to some so they go for Mickey Mouse that requires the minimum of tools and skill so you end up with peel-n-stick or click lock. I think glue down is still king in the commercial realm for it's durability whether it be VCT or another vinyl.

Old 09-18-20, 12:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
You use thinset and grout for vinyl? Most homecenters sell loose lay vinyl because it is easier install for DIY.

Old 09-30-20, 06:42 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are right.There is however a line of color VCT in all colors of the rainbow, but did not see it again. Self-stick tiles are never any good that I can see. I put some in the laundry room and regret it. First it looks thin and cheap. Second the tiles tend to slip. I don't care because that whole room should be rebuilt.
It surprises me that many of these tiles are pretty expensive. I suppose they are more for a fashion statement than a rough and ready floor.
the VCT is the only way to go. What you want for a cement is a rubber mastic. Henry makes a good one. Roberts product never seemed to dry at all. Watch out for excess glue coming up at the seams for years. It is always a mistake to put down tiles without roofing paper or other underlayment.
The other thig I learned is you must seal off the room for at least 48 hours. If you walk on the floor whatsoever, the seams will show it. You should have the floor rolled but even so it is imperative to keep off it until it is set. Even then, it would be good to put down plants for a while. I was unable to do any of this and as a result my floor looks great in the non-traffic areas but not so hot where I walked.
A great thing about tiles is it is easy to remove and replace tiles.