Floor leveler over linolium

Old 12-01-20, 05:40 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor leveler over linolium

Hello, I have a house on a slab and am putting down luxury vinyl snap together tile (12x24) over the linolium. However the kitchen starts to drop just over an 1/8 in a 3 foot span. Can I pour SLC over that? Or remove the Linolium. My fear is that the black tar like adhesive may contain asbestos.

Thanks
AL

Old 12-01-20, 05:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 749 Votes on 688 Posts
How large is the area you need to fill in? I'm concerned about leveling compound in such a minor dip and whether it will stay attached to the linoleum. I can see the leveling compound cracking and popping free after some walking on the floor. Then you'll have crunchy gravel under your new floor. If it's a relatively small area I'd consider other leveling methods. With only 1/8" to fill in I'd consider just leaving it. Or, troweling on an adhesive which will add some thickness. Most adhesives will be more flexible than leveling compound and might stay stuck and in one piece better. You can put down a sheet or two of tar or rosin paper in the adhesive for a bit more thickness.

Old 12-01-20, 07:36 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The kitchen area I'm re flooring is about 10x12.the area with the slant is about 3x6, so relatively small. I feel it does need some leveling as ive read the snap together tile will crack where the bend or dip occurs as you put weight on it. I like your idea of an adhesive and paper or maybe ram board.. Any thoughts are appreciated>

Old 12-01-20, 08:30 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
A thin layer of leveler, especially over a soft substrate with crack up.

When doing floors tar paper all the way up to shingles can be used as thin fillers!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: