Another Vinyl Expansion based question. See Pix

Old 04-15-21, 06:06 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another Vinyl Expansion based question. See Pix

Sorry, I read several posts in here about vinyl plank expansion and still have questions. I will have Home Depot's good quality (LifeProof) vinyl plank that fits together, there is no adhesion to each other nor is there adhesion to the floor underneath.

I have a 10' x 12' kitchen. Manufacturer states that due to future temp and humidity fluctuations I need 1/4" expansion area on all outside edges of the installed floor, and strangely the 1/4" expansion area applies both to small rooms and large rooms! OK, not a problem for most of the edging of the floor. I can install quarter round on the edges on most of the room and the planks can slide in and out under the quarter round as needed. However...

See pix, how do I nicely mate the vinyl floor with the door threshold and the door molding? I can carefully and accurately cut the vinyl, but cannot leave a quarter of an inch in this area, it will look bad. I am thinking that (1) I make certain the vinyl is acclimatized to 75 degrees so it is reasonably warm and expanded and then install making certain I institute the 1/4" around the entire room periphery. (2)However for the areas in the picture I accurately cut and butt the vinyl to the door threshold and to the door molding. Then, if the vinyl expands it expands to the opposite side of the room and the flooring there slides under the quarter round as needed. Your thoughts please!

Also, thinking about this further, if the planks expand and then contract over time, the planks on the short end could easily push and stay apart. The more I contemplate this the more imperfect vinyl planking seems to be.

Best,
Dave

The vinyl will go on the light side, in the room I am taking the picture from.

Old 04-15-21, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
The manufacturer instructions don't specify every situation. Generally, yes, you want the floor to have a 1/4" gap. So at a threshold like that you would typically want to undercut (router) a slot on the threshold to accept the flooring. A t molding is often used for this purpose.

If for some reason you can't do that then you can butt one side to an immovable object (such as a bathtub, for example.)

Old 04-15-21, 06:37 AM
Received 495 Votes on 459 Posts
So a floating flooring is doing just that, floating within the room!

Your gap is around the perimeter so having the flooring butt up to the threshold is not a hard stop, it's just an internal edge..

If you want to add a gap do it between the different flooring materials. Lay painters tape on each edge and use a quality color matching caulk and trowel it flat. You will need to do that a couple of times because the caulk will shrink but when full it will be nearly invisible.

Old 04-15-21, 07:10 AM
D
Thank you XSleeper and Marq1!
On this approx 5' area I will make all the careful cuts and leave a spacing and fill (and refill) this area with color matching caulking with the tape on both sides and trowel idea. Thank you, very helpful!
Dave

Old 04-22-21, 04:19 AM
D
Question please for Marq1

Marq1,

I am about to lay down this vinyl floor that needs 1/4" expansion space at the floor edges. Question about your suggestion to use colored caulking on the threshold . If the floor expands, will it compress the caulking here? This would be the only place I would use the caulking. The rest of the floor edging would have quarter round and the flr could slide under that.

Thank you!
Dave
Threshold area

Old 04-22-21, 04:32 PM
D
XSleeper,

Since the caulking will not probably compress, I am back to your idea. Use a router to cut a slot in the threshold for the vinyl planking to slip into. Like this?

The manufacturer instructions don't specify every situation. Generally, yes, you want the floor to have a 1/4" gap. So at a threshold like that you would typically want to undercut (router) a slot on the threshold to accept the flooring. A t molding is often used for this purpose.

If for some reason you can't do that then you can butt one side to an immovable object (such as a bathtub, for example.)

Old 04-22-21, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
Yes, a small trim router and a 3 wing slot cutter works well for that. You need to get creative on the ends where the router won't reach... making several careful plunge cuts with an oscilating tool works well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: