Old linoleum floor in apartment..

Old 09-10-21, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old linoleum floor in apartment..

..is my least, favorite chore (it doesn't even make the list). I did a scrub on it sitting/kneeling on the floor and polishing every square of the pattern. It was horrible and I was crippled up for 2 days, and the floor only looked good for a week.

Is there any way to deep-clean old linoleum, and then maybe coat it with something to keep it nice longer? I had never been a suzy-home-maker, moved about with my job(s) but now retired. Now I am into redecorating, but since this is a rented apartment, I can't have the floor replaced.

Any help so appreciated,

PS I am 68 and do need to clean without getting down on the floor if possible

Old 09-10-21, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,973 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
Ammonia is probably the best cleaner for floors. (Use about 1/2 cup in 2 gallons of hot water) Alternatively, Spic & Span is good too. After its clean, using Mop & Glow on a regular basis comes to mind.

No reason to get on your hands and knees, that's why mops were invented. I like the ones with the scrubbing pad on the front.

abbynormal52 voted this post useful.
Old 09-10-21, 10:14 AM
I found a tutorial here and it mentioned Turpentine, but I will first try ammonia, or Spic and Span since I have both of those Thank you so much, and I will also see if I can find Mop & Glow! I love this forum, it's got everything!!

Old 09-10-21, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Upvotes on 32 Posts
That looks like no-wax vinyl. I have installed that pattern many times. If so, you are not supposed to use any strong cleaner, it takes off the shine. I don't know that it will ever look clean. Waxing one just makes it dull.

Old 09-10-21, 12:13 PM
I think you are right sam floor It shines good when I wiped it square by square with a lot of muscle, then died for 2 days,lol! I used a box or two of those cheap Dollar Tree swiffer wipes with Spic and Span, or something I got at dollar tree also. I just can't do that anymore though

What about that Mop and Glo? That might have some sort of wax in it too?? I'll check, headed for the store soon

Thanks much, Denise

Last edited by abbynormal52; 09-10-21 at 12:14 PM. Reason: forgot to ask ??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: