wide temp. vinyl over cement board

Old 01-02-22, 06:59 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wide temp. vinyl over cement board

Hello DIY flooring,
Have a fun one. We have a geodesic greenhouse with 530 sqft. We decided on wide temperature vinyl by Econodek for the flooring. We already have Grace Ice & Water barrier over the 3/4" PT plywood floor.

What's next is pitched rigid insulation (1.5in to 0.5 inch at the drain, 1.5in everywhere else), then cement board for the vinyl. Cement board is needed because the Grace Ice & Water barrier and Vinyl are x2 water barriers and can't place plywood between them. So goes like this top to bottom:
1) Ecodeck wide temperature vinyl (adhesive and hot air weld)
2) cement board (screws and quickset, including a skim coat)
3) tapered insulation board (large washers and screws)
4) Grace Ice & Water barrier
5) 3/4 inch PT plywood

What do you think for cement board? Seeing many types.

What do you guys recommend? The hardie board seems smoother, easier to cut and less dust. Screws will do a good job though.

Last edited by massta; 01-02-22 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-22, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Upvotes on 32 Posts
Not sure that vinyl adhesive will stick to cement board. In 45+ years of installing, I have never seen it done.

Old 01-05-22, 04:39 PM
M
Thanks for your input. We'll see. The company is saying it will stick. Maybe it needs a skim coat? I imagine adhesive will seep into and bond to cement board but who knows how long it will last.

Old 01-05-22, 06:23 PM
M
I've decided to take out the tapered ISO flooring. We'll go with just the 1/2" Permabase over Grace Ice & Water barrier. Then Econodek vinyl over that. The ISO is nice but it will only drain well in a 8x8 ft area. The rest of the floor will be flat. Instead I'll add another drain at the opposite side of the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: