Matching new P&S tiles to a 12 year old kitchen floor

Old 03-10-22, 01:42 PM
V
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Matching new P&S tiles to a 12 year old kitchen floor

First, I don't want to replace the floor before anyone suggests doing so even thou that would make the most sense.
I have a 10'x10' kitchen in a older (100+ years) "double" which we live in. There were 3 'squares' that were cracked by the dining room doorway that needed replacement. I had a box of the original tiles I used to do so, but the problem is the rest of the room the tiles have 'yellowed' probably at least partially from the sun and the 'wax/polish' coating that was applied. These tiles are NOT "no wax". There was no 'gloss' coating on them (which was a huge mistake on my part). They needed to be 'coated/sealed' with a 'wax sealer' like product.

I want to try to 'match' these 3 with the rest of the room, 'weather' them so to speak. Does anyone have any idea how to 'yellow' these whitish tiles to get them closer to the rest of the floor?

Below are the area involved from 2 angles;

Last edited by videobruce; 03-10-22 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 03-10-22, 02:11 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
It looks like the original tiles extend into an adjacent area (closet?, alcove?). If the tiles in that area have also yellowed (they may not have because they are covered) and if you can remove three of them without damage, you could use them in the repair area and replace with non-yellowed tiles

Old 03-11-22, 02:57 AM
V
That's the back hall. Those tiles are a different type, not a matching issue. Any other areas that have those tiles would be too hard to remove or just not practical due to the probability of breakage due to stiffness. Nice idea thou.

How about using a very diluted 'stain' to 'tint' the tiles? The existing surface is still 'dull' due to the lack of Armstrong's "no wax' treatment.

Last edited by videobruce; 03-11-22 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-11-22, 04:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would take tiles from under the fridge or stove and put in the visible area. Vinyl can be dyed but the surface layer on floor tiles could pose a problem. If you can get three more replacement tiles you can try leaving them outside in the sun for the summer and see if they yellow enough to match.

Old 03-11-22, 05:36 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
I would have also replaced the tiles to the left and right of the replacements.
I think it would have looked better.

I do not think you will have much success trying to artificially yellow the tiles.
Time will do that.

Old 03-11-22, 05:54 AM
V
I should of asked the question before I changed the tiles.
Vinyl can be dyed but the surface layer on floor tiles could pose a problem.
When you say "surface layer", these do not have the 'sheen' most regular tiles (no wax) titles. It's very dull since they were made to be covered with wax (polish) finish.

I'm trying the stain idea, initial test on a spare tile seems it just may work, but I have to wait until it dries first.

Old 03-11-22, 06:11 AM
V
As far as taking tiles elsewhere, I don't see how that is possible since I can't get underneath the 1st tile without breaking it. I was only able to take these 3 out from removing that threshold doorway metal strip and going in from there since there are 2 layers of tiles underneath as it is. The tiles under the stove & refrigerator don't see the sun and both locations are only slightly yellowed, not enough of a difference over the 'aged' tiles I used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: