LVP for Aquarium Room

Old 05-23-22, 09:44 AM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
LVP for Aquarium Room

Bit of a different situation here....I have a large 220 gallon "saltwater" aquarium in a basement wall. Behind the wall is an 8'x10' room where all of my equipment is and, more importanly, spills happen ;-) Over the years its been bare concrete in that room and I know saltwater isnt great for concrete. I've been looking into Waterproof LVP flooring as an option.

My concern/need is water spillage. Im not talking drops or a small glass of water. Sometimes I'll get a gallon or few of water on the floor. Usually I'm there to cause it and suck it up with towels or shopvac. Can water seep through the cracks of "waterproof" LVP? I heard floating is better than glued down for my situation. Is there a particular brand or model that's better than others? Performance over aesthetics in this case. Is there an industrial/commercial application?

Is this a bad idea? What else do I need to think about?

Thanks so much in advance for help in a unique application!

Old 05-23-22, 10:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Strip floorings may be made of material not damaged by water so you could call say the planking itself is waterproof. They are not designed to hold water or prevent water from passing through. When you spill water some may seep between the seams & joints and get underneath the flooring.

Hopefully you have a concrete floor. If so then I'd consider epoxy or another paint like product intended for floors.

Old 05-23-22, 10:22 AM
B
Hmmm, thats my fear. Water sitting on top of the LVP for a period of time then seeping through. Epoxy was my other choice but the work required and the fumes during install concern me. For fumes I have a ventilation fan in the room and I was going to block off the tank to prevent fumes in the water.

But if LVP isnt something that will be completely waterproof then maybe I should go with Epoxy.

Old 05-23-22, 11:15 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Sometimes I'll get a gallon or few of water on the floor
For the occasional spillage I doubt the concrete is going to be an issue, think of all the piers and infrastructure build in and next to the ocean.

It may water/salt stain it but it's not going to eat it up.

Clean it and put down a cement sealer, will make those cleanups easier.

Old 05-23-22, 03:54 PM
B
For the occasional spillage I doubt the concrete is going to be an issue, think of all the piers and infrastructure build in and next to the ocean.

It may water/salt stain it but it's not going to eat it up.

Clean it and put down a cement sealer, will make those cleanups easier.
Oh really? I have had this setup in place for over 15 years now and after all the spills I really dont have a problem with the cement floor. Just thought I was lucky. I dont have any experience with a cement sealer or paint -- have heard paint is never a good idea b/c it eventually peels.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: