Peel & Stick tile on Hardie Backer Board

Old 08-20-22, 12:44 PM
geov999
Visiting Guest
Peel & Stick tile on Hardie Backer Board

I planned on using peel & stick tile in my closet but my contractor put down Hardie Backer Board to raise the floor. I have learned it is not a good substrate for peel & stick tile. So Iím looking for advice. Neither Hardie or Traffic Master will help. I read on this forum that someone said not to use another adhesive because it reacted with the glue on the back of the tile and made a mess.

I was thinking of wiping down with wet sponge to get rid of as much dust as possible. And / or priming it .. but what kind of primer should I useÖ. Does anyone have any ideas or experience? The closet is 67ĒX 28Ē so it doesnít really get foot traffic but I do store items on the floor. Thanks for the help. Gail

Old 08-20-22, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Your floor tile instructions should specify subfloor requirements and if they do not mention it, it's because they aren't going to stick their neck out and give recommendations for something that is not recommended.

Having said that, you're doing it at your own risk. A product like this could be used to prime the floor, which will be your best bet. But still, no guarantees as to longevity or durability.

Old 08-20-22, 02:38 PM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
Peel and stick is never a good long term solution to anything!

Old 08-20-22, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Why not go with a standard tile and use contact cement ?

Old 08-21-22, 07:28 AM
geov999
Visiting Guest
i could not find any tiles even resembling the tile that’s in my master bath. The closest I could come was this peel & stick. Since it doesn’t get much foot traffic & is small I thought I’d use the vinyl, the inside of the closet was previously carpeted. Unfortunately I’m now stuck with the Hardie vs plywood for a base and a raised floor.

I’m going to try the bonding agent XSleeper mentioned (thank you) and try it out on some left over Hardie and see how that works. I’m also going to try some vinyl adhesive and see how that works, someone in this forum mentioned that thee two adhesives could react and create a mess and not stick at all. I was hoping someone might have done this at some point in time and could help out and tell me long term results.

Last edited by geov999; 08-21-22 at 07:31 AM. Reason: PS I have 3 more closets to go. I won’t make the same mistake in the other rooms.
Old 08-21-22, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
You don't use vinyl adhesive with peel and stick, which is what pj meant when he said "standard" tile. (Not peel and stick.)

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 08-21-22, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
I would not use it on hardibacker, but I have used the back side of a trowel to put down a very thin layer of adhesive under peel and stick. But you would be better off with plywood and VCT.

Old 08-21-22, 04:44 PM
geov999
Visiting Guest
Thanks Sam, Iím kind of stuck with the Hardie since my contractor used liquid nails to adhere it to the cement floor. Will the VCT stick to the Hardie? Or did you mean use plywood and VCT..vs plywood and peel & stick. Because I have 3 more closets to go and was planning on ensuring he uses plywood but I was going to use peel & stick. Doesnít VCT require a lot more maintenance?

Last edited by geov999; 08-21-22 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Also Sam, what type of adhesive did you use on your peel & stick, for my future reference..
Old 09-07-22, 09:46 PM
geov999
Visiting Guest
Hi all, thought I’d follow up and let you know how it went. The Hardie backer board worked out fine. I washed the board down to get all the dust off and let it dry out. It worked great. Of course it’s only been down for about 2 weeks and it doesn’t (and won’t) get a lot of traffic because it’s in the closet but it worked out fine. I didn’t use anything else such as primer or additional adhesive.

Old 09-08-22, 09:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
I'm shaking my head thinking about the contractor putting hardie down on a concrete slab in the first place.

Old 09-12-22, 09:49 AM
geov999
Visiting Guest
Yah I agree next closet I’ll use plywood. I have 3 more closets to go..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: