Vinyl plank under clawfoot?

Old 01-25-23, 04:36 PM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Vinyl plank under clawfoot?

Remodeling my original bathroom from 1910 which came with a tub made in 1920. I really don't want to tile the floor unless I have to but I'm getting mixed answers on using vinyl plank under the tub. What would be the main issue? Some say they use the best and its been fine for years and some say there's no way it will hold up. What is everyone's thoughts on this matter?

I was also told that the plank in big box stores isn't as good as a flooring store. Same brand and what not.

Old 01-25-23, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Not really sure what you are asking. The tub will need to be removed to install the flooring... or any flooring, for that matter.

The tub will damage the floor (or pretty much any floor) if you drag it across the floor when you go to reinstall it unless you protect that floor with some sort of sliders under the claw feet or use pieces of protective hardboard to cover the floor until you have it where you want it, and can thrn lift up the tub to pull those pieces out.

When you sit the tub directly on the vinyl floor, thr weight of it is going to dent the vinyl, but I doubt that matters since you won't be moving the tub until the next time you want to change the floor. And the expansion and contraction of a floating floor is kind of a non-issue in a small room like a bathroom, provided the flooring ends at a transition at the doorway.

The main issue when putting down your flooring is that the subfloor needs to be FLAT. That typically means no humps or dips more than 1/8" in 6 ft... or 3/16" in 10 ft. See your installation directions for the specifics.

Old 01-26-23, 04:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I have never seen an issue since a tub isn't moved and doesn't create "wear" on a floor. It's a better situation than your your dinning table or sofa that will get bumped and scooted sometimes.

Yes, the heavy weight can put a dent in the flooring. But since it doesn't move... who cares. If concerned you can put a pad underneath the feet. The weight of the tub when full might prevent the flooring from expanding and contracting but it doesn't have a noticeable affect because of the small size of the tub and even less since 99% of the time the tub is empty.

Old 01-26-23, 06:37 AM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The old floor was removed who knows how long ago and plywood was reinstalled so the sub floor is in great condition. We already removed all fixtures to prepare for the floor. Will this "dent" create an area for water intrusion requiring a vapor barrier underlayment or will 100% waterproof name brand plank be good enough?

Old 01-26-23, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
The main area for water intrusion will be the entire perimeter of the floor unless you silicone it.

Old 01-26-23, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The worst part of any vinyl floor are the seams. Vinyl plank is all seams.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: