Laundry room drain

Old 07-31-23, 06:18 PM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Laundry room drain

Have a drain in my laundry room that was previously under a washing machine pan. The thing is that the floor doesn't incline into it. What else should I install to make sure it catches the water? I was thinking about a water-proof gromet but let me know what you think. Also, how hard is it to redo the flooring with a decline to get any water to flow into the drain?

----

Old 08-01-23, 01:42 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
Cement floor, wood floor?

Either way everything would have to be torn up and the fix depends on how it's constructed. Personally I've never had a drain in a utility room so not so sure I'd be tearing up and redoing a drain for that once in a lifetime leak!

Old 08-01-23, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
You need a drain pan in order for the floor drain to do any good. The room will have to flood to at least 1/4" depth before water ever spills over the drain. Long before that the water will be leaking between the floor and walls and out the door.

Sloping the room to the drain isn't much an option unless you want a major remodel. The drain elevation is set so any sloping means the rest of the floor has to be raised. This will cause a trip hazard the thresholds, doors won't clear the floor, baseboards have to be raised....

Old 08-01-23, 01:46 PM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I'll have to get a drain pan then.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: