underlayment for this floor section possible?

Old 06-30-24, 11:05 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
underlayment for this floor section possible?

I have small section that I had to take up tile from to repurpose at another place in the house.

I want to just throw down some linoleum to cover the spot. But as you can see, there is a lot of tile adhesive left. I'd rather not try to remove it and get the dust everywhere.

Is there an underlayment I can put down that will accomodate the uneven adhesive and then I can put the linoleum over that? Thank you.

Old 06-30-24, 05:16 PM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
Linoleum will telegraph every bump and crack over time; it needs a smooth surface underneath. You could put down 1/4" underlayment and then the flooring, but even that will need to have the worst of the old stuff scraped off to get a reasonably flat surface. You might get by using tile because the thinset can be thick enough even out the floor. But most/all thinsets recommend removing old adhesive first as it can interfere with bonding.

Old 07-01-24, 06:27 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, appreciate it.

Is there possibly a liquid floor leveler that hardens I could put there to make it smooth?

Old 07-01-24, 09:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
Not much sticks well to old glue so self leveling compound and other products will likely crack and break loose. You can put plywood or OSB over the area but anything thick enough (1/2"+) is going to cause a height issue with the adjoining floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: