Vinyl tiling

Old 12-08-01, 08:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Vinyl tiling

I have just removed carpet and padding that had been laid over a previously tiled floor. The existing 12 x 12 tile seems fairly sound and is still glued down to the basement concrete floor. I wish to re-tile with new 12 x 12 VCT tiles.

Rather than pull up the old tiles, I was wondering if I can leave them in place, apply some patch to the damaged areas (where I removed the "tackless" strips which were nailed down around the periphery of the room), and just lay the new tiles over the existing ones. Of course I would not place them over the old tile's joint lines, but offset them somewhat. Has this ever been done? Can it be done? If yes, can I use self-adhesive tiles? Thanks for your help. Martin.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-01, 03:11 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl tiles

You might find helpful info at www.doityourself.com/vinylfloors.

Old 12-19-01, 04:12 PM
Visiting Guest
I know someone who did this.

I know someone who did this and there was no problem. Although I do know someone else who did it and it was a big mess. I would think if the tile that is down is in good condition and is firmly down there might not be a problem but you are taking a chance. I would just say if you do it, patch, and get some really good adhesive. Goodl luck!