Painting Vinyl Floor?

Old 12-31-01, 03:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Painting Vinyl Floor?

Any information on painting of vinyl floors? I am just now hearing about it and would like to try. I was thinkg of adding patterns using duct tape between coats?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-02, 12:17 AM
Visiting Guest
given the softness of some resilient vinyls, I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 01-06-02, 06:17 PM
Visiting Guest
painting vinyl floors

I just painted both my bathroom floors which are vinyl. Here is how I did it. Clean well with TSP and rinse. Sand, use tac cloth to clean. I used a primer first, regular latex paint, then a glaze (for decoration) and other glazes to make a stone/marble type look and added veins etc. Then 3 coats of polyerathane, thin, making sure each coat was VERY dry before added 2nd coat. It worked great. One floor yellowed a bit due to over use and puddling of poly. Good luck. I fugured I had nothing to lose, since if it was terrible I'd just pull it up. Good for a quick fix, low cost. Eventually I'll pull it up.

Old 01-08-02, 04:16 PM
amh
Visiting Guest
Painting Vinyl Flooring

I am buying an 100 year old house. In the dining room the subfloor had to be repaired and the seller put down new vinyl flooring which is just ....ugly. I'd rather not spend money on wood flooring quite yet...besides it wouldn't match the very old wood in the other rooms. In order to transition from the kitchen vinyl which is fine... to the wood floor in the living room I'm planning on doing a faux mexican tile paint job using sponging and masking with tape for the grout lines. I've learned so far that I can use latex paints (oil based paint is so noxious and this has to happen in February - I won't be able to ventilate the room without freezing) ...and then several coats of polyeurethene to seal it.

I'm an artist so the painting technique is a no-brainer for me but
can anyone tell me what is the best washing/de-glossing and sanding technique to prepare the surface? If I use a liquid sander is it a real MESS to clean up? How would I remove the liquid sander? Is sanding with paper (I have an electric sander) better and easier to clean up? The floor is 9'x12'.

Thanks for your comments!

Old 01-09-02, 01:05 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting vinyl floor

We seem to be getting a lot of posts on the forums where folks are painting vinyl floors. Surface prep is important. The surface must be thoroughly clean. Most folks report sanding the surface with a sanding block to give it "tooth" so the paint will stick. Make sure you give the coats adequate time to dry before moving on to the next one. About the only complaint I've read is that the poly tends to yellow and is less noticeable on darker colors. Polyurethane tends to scratch, which is its biggest drawback, so if your flooring is in a high traffic area expect some wear. Clean only with floor cleaning products recommended for poly finish floors. Avoid household cleaners and detergents as well as abrasives.

Old 01-10-02, 02:11 AM
amh
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the comments. I'll sand with a sanding block. I hated the thought of sanding with a liquid sander. Too much of a clean-up chore. YUK! The color I use will be a deep terra-cotta anyway so a bit of yellowing won't hurt it.

It's a high traffic area, since old houses really had no hallways, so I expect some wear...but I figure it should last for a few years. I'll let you know how it comes out and take some pictures. It will cost probably 1/3 of re-vinyling and new wood or laminate is not an option now.

Thanks, Alicia

Old 01-10-02, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
vinyl floor paint

You go girl! So far mine has not scratched, and it easier to clean then the vinyl. I guess a main bathroom with 3 little boys is considered high traffic, but is only a month along. Good luck and let us all know....

Old 01-10-02, 01:17 PM
amh
Visiting Guest
Thanks and I'll take before and after pictures ..fer shur. Truth is I'd like to do a bit of this kind of painting on the side...a moonlighting kind of thing. May need to to support my renovation habit!

Three kids in a bathroom is probably more traffic than my diningroom will see (except for my dog)...so I'm feeling more confident.

Alicia

Old 01-20-02, 09:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation painting vinyl floors warning

While I had great success painting my vinyl floors take heed! I recently sent a sample of my 25 year old kitchen vinyl floor to a lab to test for asbestos. BINGO, it contained abestos. IT IS NOT OK to sand vinyl containing asbestos. I would suggest having any vinyl laid prior to 1980 tested, if you plan to paint or remove, or if you don't want to do that, DON"T SAND IT prior to painting. Clean it, then prime etc.

Old 01-20-02, 11:20 AM
amh
Visiting Guest
Painting Vinyl Flooring

Thanks for the warning. I will probably find asbestos elsware but this room has brand new vinyl flooring. It's in a country cottage I'm buying, that was built at the turn of the century (1900) that has been updated systems-wise... The dining room had some damage in the flooring and new subfloor was put in. The owner covered that with the ugliest vinyl I've ever seen. The rest of the house is wood flooring or berber carpet. The kitchen is vinyl tile that looks like white square tiles with those little black diamond shaped tiles between. So I had to decide what to do to make the transition between the kitchen tile and the wood flooring. Eventually I"ll put new flooring down but for now, I had to come up with a CHEAP alternative. Since there is so much to do and the painting is a time consuming process, I've decided to steal the new carpet from one of the rooms that I will be refinishing the wood flooring on. I may paint the vinyl eventually.

Old 01-20-02, 11:22 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos test kit

Go to http://doityourself.com/home-safety/asbestos.htm to order an asbestos test kit.

Old 07-04-02, 04:24 PM
BetteBoop
Visiting Guest
ATT: member amh

Was wondering if you ever painted the vinyl floor and if you did, did you take pictures?
Would love to know how it came out.
Peace, Bette