Vinyl Floor

Old 05-18-02, 10:10 AM
croyboy
Visiting Guest
Vinyl Floor

I found an easy self stick parque wood floor tile, and I would like to replace my vinyl floor. Can I just put the floor tiles over top of the vinyl, or should I remove it, then put the tiles down? there is nothing but plywood under the vinyl floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-02, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing self-stick parquet tile over vinyl

Read and follow manufacturer's recommendations for underlayment, surface prep, acclimation, and installation in order to maintain any product warranties. Installing over vinyl may void product warranties. Self-stick adhesive may fail if vinyl is not stripped clean of all waxes oils and soils. Ideally a new plywood underlayment should be installed over the old vinyl.

If you remove the vinyl and find black adhesive (Cut Back Adhesive) this adhesive will destroy the adhesive on self-stick tiles. A new underlayment should be installed.

Old 05-19-02, 04:40 PM
croyboy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice

I started to remove the vinyl sheet and there was a tough adhesive holding it on there. I'm using a heat gun and scraper to get the adhesive off. I also purchased some adhesive remover that i will use prior to sanding the plywood underlayment. Thanks again for the advice.

mike