vinyl tiles over hardwood floors?

Old 05-28-02, 07:38 PM
jlh114
Visiting Guest
vinyl tiles over hardwood floors?

OK, this has been quite a project. First, I bought a house with sheet vinyl in the kitchen- laid in the late 80's. It was in bad shape and I could see that hardwood was under it, so I painstakingly removed all of the vinyl, the backing and the adhesive. Then I found out why the floor had been covered up- lots of nicks in the floor. So I gave up on the idea of a hardwood floor and turned to vinyl tiles. Can I lay them over the wood floor (I filled in the nicks)? Is there a way to treat the floor so that it is a better surface for the tiles? The instructions say to lay it on plywood, but I'm not looking for perfection here- just a floor that will last a few years. I'm concerned about raising the floor by using plywood and then having to deal with the entryways. Advice is most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-02, 04:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underlayment for vinyl tiles

Vinyl tiles require a super smooth clean surface. You can install a 1/4" plywood underlayment. Installing directly onto hardwood floors may raise some issues due to imperfections in the surface of the hardwood as well as expansion and contraction of the wood beneath the vinyl.

For installation tips:

http://www.doityourself.com/vinylfloors/