heatweld

Old 07-05-02, 09:06 PM
kojack2002
Visiting Guest
Post heatweld

I can not find anyone to explain heat welding on vinyl floors? I've been a floorcoverer for years but just now have asked to heat weld.No one in this area knows how. Can you explain it? Really appreciated.

Old 07-18-02, 08:45 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Heat welding

Heat welding of seams produces a seamless floor covering that prevents the penetration of soil, moisture, and bacteria in seams. This is frequently required in hospitals and medical centers. Following floor covering manufacturer's instructions for installations is always best. Contact the technical department of the manufacturer for installation instructions.

http://www.sstfloor.com/art_heat.htm

http://www.kenilworth.com/Constructi...1_Flooring.htm

Old 09-26-06, 04:28 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kojack2002
I can not find anyone to explain heat welding on vinyl floors? I've been a floorcoverer for years but just now have asked to heat weld.No one in this area knows how. Can you explain it? Really appreciated.
Hi let me start by telling you that i am also a floorcovering installer (sub contractor) for about 22 years now.
the tools needed to heatweld are costly.you need a groover,a moon knife,trim plate and a heat gun with a heatweld tip. After 24 hrs. of a sheetvinyl installation you first remove a U shape groove down the length of the seam about 1/2 the thickness of the material. Then with the heat gun with the welding tip attached. insert the matching welding rod through the tip with a steady motion and pressure melt the rod into the seam.then first trim the rod using the trim plate and moon knife then trim the rod a second time flush to the floor using the moon knife alone. It takes some practice so glue a scrape piece of vinyl to some plywood a practice.Hope this helps.

Old 09-26-06, 04:45 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hi MG123. Welcome to the DIY forums

This thread is well over 4 years old.

Thank you for your input, (great info!) but we try not to bump old threads like this. The original poster is long gone, or at least has resolved this long since (I hope! ). The information is here for others to search for and add a question, but posting an answer to an old question is something we avoid.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: