Removing Shower Tile To Repair

Old 07-30-02, 08:08 PM
ablachaze
Visiting Guest
Removing Shower Tile To Repair

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE TILE FROM THE SHOWER WALL WITHOUT BREAKING IT. IT SEEMS THAT WATER HAS BEEN CREEPING BEHIND THE TILE AND I MAY HAVE DAMAGE BEHIND THE TILE. I NEED TO REMOVE THE TILE WITHOUT BREAKING, AND INSPECT THE WALL AND REPLACE THE TILE.I JUST DID KITCHEN FLOOR TILE AND IF THIS IS ANY THING LIKE THAT I AM IN A WORLD OF TROUBLE.

Old 07-31-02, 06:25 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
you are - if water has destroyed the subsurface the tile will not adhere very long. if you remove the tile how are you going to fix the subsurface? how old is the install - 20 -30 years?

Old 07-31-02, 10:18 PM
ablachaze
Visiting Guest
Red face FOR DIEMETO

Originally posted by diemeto
you are - if water has destroyed the subsurface the tile will not adhere very long. if you remove the tile how are you going to fix the subsurface? how old is the install - 20 -30 years?

THE INSTALL WAS DONE WHEN THE HOUSE WAS BUILT ,I GUESS. AND THE HOUSE IS ONLY 12 YEARS OLD. I WAS TOLD THAT THERE IS NORMALLY SOMETHING CALLED GREEN BOARD BEHIND THE TILE. I HAVE TO GET THE TILE OFF FIRST , HOPEFULLY WITHOUT BREAKING IT. PLEASE HELP ME , IM DYING HERE.

Old 08-01-02, 05:59 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
yes many times greenboard is use - though it really should not be used in a shower - CBU should be used. The only way to get the tile off is to pry it off - I doubt you will hurt the tile but am more concerned you will rip the greenboard - then how do you put the tile back on? The greenboard is one solid sheet like sheet rock. if the greenboard is ok you can try to reattach the tile with thinset

Old 08-01-02, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you will have to resign yourself to assume that the tile will have to be replaced. Even if you were be able to remove the tile without breaking them, you would have a major job in removing the grout and thinset from each tile so they would lie flush when reset. I know matching older tile is rather unlikely, but you might be able to select a complementary design/color to go back with after repairing the substrate and any rotted framing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: