Terecotta floor, white cabinets and....

Old 08-09-02, 06:40 AM
kchristofora
Visiting Guest
Terecotta floor, white cabinets and....

help.....what color counter tops should I use in my new kitchen?

Also could use recommendation on wall color or back splash tile color/designs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-02, 09:39 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Color selection

You may want to pull some colors in from the other rooms in your home to carry your color scheme through to the kitchen. You can also pick up some kitchen magazines for some ideas.

Old 08-20-02, 05:06 PM
kchristofora
Visiting Guest
We are re-building almost the entire house. All will revolve this kitchen and terecotta floor. We have searched hi and low for magazine pictures but still have come up empty.

Thought that Black may be too formal and take away from the floor's beauty. Any more ideas for colors????

Old 08-20-02, 06:13 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did 1 job that had terra cotta colr floor use a bright med blue marbleized formica top that i thought was to loud of a color but after it was installed it is beautiful everyone likes it. the backsplash was a standard 4 1/4" tile with a fruit murial above the the stove and single fruit tiles dotted threw out the rest of back splash.

Old 08-23-02, 05:24 PM
kchristofora
Visiting Guest
We will check out that blue/cobalt option. It may be nice!

We are in love with the teracotta floor. Can anyone else recommend other colors for the cabinets? Just trying to get some options here. thanks everyone.

Old 08-30-02, 05:08 PM
kchristofora
Visiting Guest
So we walked into this show room and found the most perfect counter top. Cream, swilr with red....some kind of granite. Well turns out that it is only good for bathrooms because of pit marks. The stone is 'puttied" up and coated prior to instalation. Not good for food surfaces and bacteria. And if you used white, lemon juice turns it purple.

Wow we were crushed.!

so we went back to the big walls again...looked at creams, yellows, blues....it all was not doing it for us....how depressing.

Then we found a counter with slate samples. Found a deep red honed slate finish. Beauuuuutiful. Woesie. Next we get to see the $ quote....! Also found a "clear: coated slate which shows a blue/purple hue. That seems to be our second choice at the moment. I heard slate scratches a bit, but looked like normal wear and tear. Maybe adds character???

Mexican Red Teracotta floor, white cabinets....deeper red slate counters? "Stainless" stove and fridge.

Any comments?

Old 08-30-02, 07:20 PM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
Ideas

I'm no interior decorator, but my wife and I have recently remodeled a kitchen that was vintage 40's-old rusted metal cabinets(painted blue) and sparkly formica countertops.

We now have new maple Kraftmaid cabinets custom ordered from Home Depot, a Silestone countertop (with blue, beige, white and dark/black specks), and I removed 3 layers of old lineolum/vinyl floor to get to the original hardwood floors. Walls are light yellow, ceiling and trim are bright white. We love it! Our finishing touches will be to add a tile backsplash along the sink surface, and crown moulding along the ceiling perimeter. It seems to be a never-ending project, but we've come a long way!

We looked through many Kitchen & Bath & Kitchen Ideas magazines, visited Lowes, Home Depot and other Kitchen showroom stores, along with other friend's homes to get our inspiration.

Hope your project turns out great!

LewMac

Old 12-16-02, 06:15 PM
kchristofora
Visiting Guest
almost done....

Well, we had a whole second floor addition to figure out with the architech. Now we are back to the final kitchen.

Teracotta floor as always

butter-white wood cabinets

Stainless appliances

Counter top: Fell in love with a red honed slate. Wow what an item. Also double the price 18k instead of 8k for the counter top only. So we are on a green (sage like) or gray color. =Very Nice Indeed.! Thats where we are now.

Wall colors: Looking at a subdued yellow, not glow yellow and not pastel either. Kind of Oat - straw yellow. We test painted our old kitchen. It looks nice.

Two new questions:
1. Our Kitchen opens to a breakfest table area and cathederal ceiling. 2 stories of a "Wall of windows" by the table. with stairs going up on the other side of the table. How do you paint the kithcen yellow and the connecting breakfest room yellow and change the color at the top of the stairs. Does the upstairs hall way have to stay that yellow too? There is nowhere to "break" a color line. It all flows together.

2. How do you take a picture or scan something small enough to attach to this program?

I think thats it! Dinner wount be until Mid May. What do you think?